mk1

Brisket Pic and help request

So here is my raw newly aquired whole brisket. I have never cooked one. I have read numerous threads on high versus low heat. Any body want to tell me their favorite way including seasoning and serving? It is 12.5 pounds. Please give me a guess as to length of cook too. ( for planning purposes) thanks in advance fetch?id=68348

Re: Brisket Pic and help request

Way to open up a can of worms, mk! Plan on doing a bunch of briskets in the near future. Do both low and slow and hot fast. Inject some, rub some, and do both. The journey is all the fun! All the techniques, rubs, marinades and so on are right here in these forums...

But, you are going to like the hot fast!!! And I do like the results when using the Butcher BBQ injection. The flat on a brisket can easily dry out, the injection really helps that. As does the foil part of the hot fast. There are some adamant low and slow advocates here so you need to do both. Let 2012 be the year of the brisket trials.

Doc summarised perfectly... try all the different ways to do brisket. I have been doing low-n-slow for 3yrs, just tried hot-n-fast, all i can say is.. wow.... excellent outcome! wish i have tried it earlier.

And do follow Dennis' advice re: burnt ends - they make the best sandwiches - or all by themselves.

Good article. I wholeheartedly concur that you should hold for a good long time, foiled and wrapped in towels in a cooler. Definitely. I separate the flat and point after cooking, scrape off ALL the fat, and slice. You will need the silicone heat gloves for this, it will be hot! I have no problem injecting Butcher BBQ in to the flat, but have not tried the beef broth injection. If you inject the point w BBBQ, it will fall apart after cooking! Which you may or may not like. I like it. Now I want to do one tomorrow.

fetch?id=67053fetch?id=67054fetch?id=67055fetch?id=67056fetch?id=67057

Hot and Fast for the win! cooked at 350 with foiling after 2 hours at 160 degrees, Came of witha flat temp of 198 and a point temp of 190 after 4 total hours. Rested the flat in a 170 degree oven wrapped over its own juuices for 2 hours. Cubed the point and put it on the grill with some BBQ sauce mixed with S.C. vinegar based sauce mix at 400 for 1.5 hours. Served it with a bacon cornbread after a prawn skewer appetizer. Corn on the cob too. Everything was cooked on the KK..... PICS? Sadly after taking it off I only snapped one, then we ate almost everything. I remembered late. 4 adults and 4 small kids ate the better part of a 12.5 pound packer. pics are 1) done 2) remnants of bits 3)smoke ring coffee wood 4) all that remains...meat coma 5)bacon cornbread remnants I will try to take pics before dinner next time!

post-7115-139082398006_thumb.jpg

post-7115-13908239801_thumb.jpg

post-7115-139082398013_thumb.jpg

post-7115-139082398017_thumb.jpg

post-7115-139082398022_thumb.jpg

All this brisket talk got me going. I have a hybrid out there I'm fixing to take off the grill. I injected with a mixture of Barbecue butcher, worcestershire and a new Swanson's concentrated beef broth/syrup product. The rub was fresh ground pepper, kosher salt, cardamom, garlic powder, allspice, ground ginger and a little Adolph's tenderizer. I injected it at 11, rubbed it and put it on the 225 degree fire at 1, and it will come off by 6, Central time. At the 160 point I foiled it and kicked the fire up to 350. Pics to follow...

Yes, I worked today. Did surgery early and only had a couple office patients afterward.

I repeat only for the newer folks here: The hot fast foil pack yields a LOT of juice, you can make an au jus, or gravy, and I love to just pour it straight in to mashed potatoes. The dogs love it drizzled on their chow. Hot fast juice, "I think that's just the tops!"(remember Mel Torme in "The Jimmy"?)

The hot fast brisket technique is stickied here in the forums.

You cook the brisket unfoiled until it hits an internal temp of about 160. That's where you get your bark and smoke ring, which you can clearly see in my photos. Then you foil the brisket and put it back on to finish. I did not include a photo of the naked brisket on the grill, but it spent about three hours or so on there unfoiled.

Check the sticky for the full description.