EGGARY

Baby Back Ribs Low and Slow or Turbo

I have 2 slabs of Pork Baby Back Ribs in the refrigerator with Cluck and Squeal for Ribs, JH Pecan Rub, and whatever else I would think would work. I plan to put on some Brown Sugar on them and let the Sugar do its thing on the Ribs.

On another Forum they talk about doing Ribs at 350 for 2 1/2 hours and they come out pretty good. I could also go the Low and Slow Route of 225 -250. This is where my ADD kicks in, too many choices. Any input would be appreciated.

I plan on using apple chunks. How long do I let the KK get up to temp before the Ribs go on.

This is going to be fun.

Thank you.

Gary

Re: Baby Back Ribs Low and Slow or Turbo

Both will work. If you have the time, low and slow on the KK are quite good. I am currently 1 hour into low and slow at 250 with 3 slabs of St Louis style ribs. From what i have read and just a little experience with ribs on KK, I am planning to cook these at least 4 hours, closer to 5 most likely. Like you, the ADD does kick in and one thinks you got take them off...don't over cook them. However, the last 5 hour cook like this they were moist, tender, and delicious. I will fight the ADD and go for 5 hours...

good luck

Hello,

I allow at least 1 hr for the KK to heat soak and get the temperature stabilized, put ribs on at 235 degrees for about 4.5 hrs. I just put a little salt and pepper on mine in the beginning, then put a light coat of my bbq sauce about 10 minutes before i take them off. We just put some extra sauce out if anyone want more on their ribs. Planning was the key for me when using the KK for a low slow cook, once you allow it to heat soak, temp control is quite easy.

The "Heat Soak" thing of the KK is what I am not used to. My EGG didn't take this long to get up to temp but that is o.k. I know that when I put on the ribs the temp won't go down that much. I am taking the easy way out today and going the 2 1/2 hour cook. I will definitely will go the low and slow next time. That is the nice thing about this, there is going to be a next time.

It's raining outside and the umbrella is up covering my KK. Sweet "

Gary

I can say the KK did what it is suppose to do. Unfortunately the Baby Back Ribs that I made were not good. They were cooked too long or better yet they were cooking at 400 instead of 350. I could not get the temp down to 350. After an hour I took out what I call the Plate Setter/Heat Deflector and then "grilled " the Ribs for another 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes. The ribs were fall off the bone and my kids did not like them. I think the next time LOW AND SLOW.

The good thing is I get to cook Baby Backs again and again until they are cooked the way I like them.

I took the meat off the bone and chopped the meat. I then thought, "this would be good on Pizza".

Thank you for your input, which I will use the NEXT time.

Gary

With experience you will learn how to soak and choke. That is build a little bigger fire than you need and then choke back the burn.. It's really easy to over soak it this way and you won't be able to go back down..

Best to bring it up slowly at first..

It's easy enough to plan ahead.. light just a tennis ball volume of charcoal, set your airflow and have a cold one..

Once it's come to heat.. it won't wonder when the wind blows on a cold night like your egg.. the soaking is a small price to pay for stability over the entire cook.

Most common newbee mistake is to light too much charcoal.. 9 or of 10 times people can't keep temps down they are lighting a half or all of a chimney..

;);)

If I over shoot desired temp I close all vents an wait it out.

At first I pulled the coal basket, cooled down, re-lit, and reinstalled grills etc.

Suggest that you set temp level off goal 50F below desire, then slowly work up with vent.

Once you can do that there will be no more problem.

(It does not take 1 hour to reach temp. We use the 1 hour to heat sink the unit)

That depends on what kind of charcoal you were using. Some brands are definitely smokier than others, and the bulk of that smoke is released when it is first lit. I use Royal Oak, and the smoke settles down once the grill gets settled in at temp - maybe an hour or so. If you have some of the extruded coconut, that stuff barely smokes at all.

Try using the leftover charcoal in the basket, too. Most of the initial smoke burns off on the first burn, if you have a half a basket left, it will be far less smoky the second time around.