Loquitur

Small Slow Cooked Standing Rib Roast

Re: Small Slow Cooked Standing Rib Roast

Susan,

In her new book, "All About Roasting", Molly Stevens has a recipe for a 1 hour rosemary rib roast. It's a two rib roast cooked at 450 for 1 hour, maybe 1:20. You might just try this temperature from start to finish whether on the roti or on the grill. BTW, it's a wonderful book to have in the kitchen.

http://www.amazon.com/All-About-Roastin ... 039306526X

When I did my Prime Rib roast on the rotiserrie, I used the Thermometer i have had for years for oven use. Simply insert into meat, no wires of course, and then occasionally you can open lid and as the thermometer comes around you can see the meat's Internal Temp. You can still monitor, and not worry about wires...no problems.

When i cooked mine, i ran the Pit Temp at about 375 degrees...takes a bit longer, but my thought was to not over cook or dry it out...if that is even possible in a KK :o

Thanks, gentlemen. I just put an order in at Amazon for the roasting book (on sale for $18.00 plus free shipping!!) plus a "leave in" meat thermometer for the roti. I hope the thermometer (OXO) will be OK. It had some bad reviews but I chose it because it starts at 0 deg. The next lowest starting point I saw was 120 deg., and there were only two of those models, and all the rest started at 130 and 140 deg, which is way too high for me. I'm really just looking for a guide since I always have my Thermopen near at hand. My ideal rib roast would be super crispy and charry around the fat cap and bones and exterior generally and bloody rare in the center, which I guess would be deemed "cooked unevenly", as undesirable as that may sound. I can't wait to try it again!!!

Susan

My ideal rib roast would be super crispy and charry around the fat cap and bones and exterior generally and bloody rare in the center, which I guess would be deemed "cooked unevenly", as undesirable as that may sound. I can't wait to try it again!!!

Susan

I am with you....

In her new book, "All About Roasting", Molly Stevens has a recipe for a 1 hour rosemary rib roast. It's a two rib roast cooked at 450 for 1 hour, maybe 1:20. You might just try this temperature from start to finish whether on the roti or on the grill. BTW, it's a wonderful book to have in the kitchen.

http://www.amazon.com/All-About-Roastin ... 039306526X

Peter:

I received the Molly Stevens roasting book which you recommended. Thanks so much - its a beautiful book, full of valuable cooking information, recipes and photos. I can't believe I could buy a book like this for $18.00!! It's right up my alley for the KK since I don't really do low and slow cooks but a couple of times a year. And that one hour rib roast at high temp you also recommended looks just spectacular!! If I could make that I'd surely be in heaven!!

Susan

Susan, enjoy the book. It really is good! I plan on doing every recipe. I did the Tandori Style Chicken and was more than pleased. You'll have fun with it.

Peter

Susan, to get that crispiness of the fat after initially roasting at low temperature try this:

Pull the roast at 105. Tent the roast with foil but do not seal (you don't want it to steam). While the roast is resting, bring the KK up to the 500- 550 range. Place the roast back in the KK either on the main grill or in the dome, still using indirect heat, and finish the exterior at this high roasting heat. Your rib roast still looks wonderful!

Peter

When the Roast is put on to sear at 500-550, at what temp would I want to shoot for ? I like it Medium Rare and the wife like it Medium. If you could answer this post in the next 2 hours it would be really appreciated. I have a Rib Roast on as I am typing this.

Thank you.

fetch?id=67235fetch?id=67236fetch?id=67237fetch?id=67238

This one was cooked slow. 4 bones on the roast, roti at 250-270 dome for about 2.5 hours (rib sat at room temp with rub for 2-3 hours) I heatsoaked for a good 1.5 hours. Used 2 chunks of peach wood. then at 105-10 meat temp I pulled both doors and opened the damper 4-5 turns. I was at 575 in less than 10 minutes then cooked it to 117-121 Internal temp before pulling and resting. I was aiming for and got medium rare. Crust was outstanding....

post-7115-139082401024_thumb.jpg

post-7115-139082401028_thumb.jpg

post-7115-139082401032_thumb.jpg

post-7115-139082401036_thumb.jpg