MadMedik

Rib Rack: KK's rib rack vs. other racks

I have some questions about the use of rib racks on the KK. First, I know Dennis makes one and it looks very nice. I have an older rib rack i have had for years for my other bbq's (which i never used). I did not buy one from Dennis as i did not think i would need one. Now that i have used KK for about 1 year, i really want to be able to cook more ribs at one time...or , use a Rib Rack. The rack I have and have attempted to use a few times seems "too wide" between racks. What i mean is that as i put the rack on and then insert a slab of ribs (short ribs) they seem to almost fall through the rack. With the wire racks being too wide, they don't hold the slabs up vertical like I am thinking they should. Once I load 3 or 4 slabs in this older rack of mine, they are laying uneven, crooked...some almost laying flat on the grill surface...very chaotic and not uniformly upright/vertical ribs. There seems to be uneven gaps between the slabs. To me , it would seem the slabs would cook uneven. I have loaded ribs into my rack on a couple occasions, only to say forget it...and just lay them flat on the grill surface. So, my question i guess is: Am I overly concerned with the ribs laying even and and upright? Does the fact they don't lay even make a difference? Does Dennis' KK Rib Rack have narrow racks that will hold the slabs of ribs more verticle and not just fall through the racks? A few pictures I have seen on the forum show ribs that lay very nicely and upright...not like mine when i attempt using a rack with baby back ribs. Perhaps if I cooked larger St Louis style ribs they would lay better? Maybe even Beef Ribs would work ok since they are so much bigger. Can someone who has one of Dennis' newer racks measure the width of the gap the ribs sit in? This may be a weird request...so sorry. If i know the width I can compare that to my older rib rack i currently have. I am leaning toward and buying Dennis' rib racks if it will solve my problems. Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions on Rib Racks would be appreciated. EDIT: my rack is 1 5/8" wide, but they are slanted...perhaps my issue is the slant. Plus, it only holds 4 slabs of ribs, which i can almost lay flat and not even use: see photo....notice Tequilla Worm, Tequilla Calera Reposado fetch?id=68471 Thanks MadMedik

Re: Rib Rack: KK's rib rack vs. other racks

We have made them just a bit shorter these days so you can still put the upper grill over the rack.. The rack works great when you run a sheet of foil from the front to rear of the lower grill and put the drip pan on it.. This perfectly shields all the ribs if the rack is used front to rear.. ;) ;) fetch?id=67209

post-6370-139082400876_thumb.jpg