MadMedik

Beef ribs a cookin!

Only 98 degrees so far in central Cali. I may have to put a jacket on. Got wife's favorite, beef ribs, cookin. Target temp 300' cooking for 2 1/2 hours with large drip pan full of water as sort of a heat deflector. Can't wait! Oh yeah, Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 and vodka and cranberry.

Re: Beef ribs a cookin!

I am making 3 racks of Beef Ribs. I want to try it Turbo at 350 degrees. I figure 2 hours give or take. I have taken off the Membranes of each rack.

I notice in the cook a drip pan with water was used as a deflector. How does that differ from using the deflector stone ?

Can I use both ?

My last try at these I cook them too long when I did a low and slow. So trying something different.

Thank you.

I usually set the drip pan with water either on the handles of the fire basket or the lowest sear grill. I believe last time it was on the sear grill. I don't think you need the deflector stone and the pan. Pan with water should be plenty. I usually foil them and let rest for about hour or 2 if time permits. Seems they are even more tender after the long rest, but most definitely eatable shortly off the grill. Good luck

I have never believed that putting water in a KK does anything except ruin your bark.. With a big piece of meat cooking, your KK already has a cloud of steam inside the dome. A water pan would not create that much additional humidity and water in the meat's surface still turns to vapor when it hits 212ºf. You will get some evaporation with or without it.

In a metal grill you need the water to create humidity because the much larger airflow volume dries out the air and your meat.

Got wife's favorite, beef ribs, cookin. Target temp 300' cooking for 2 1/2 hours with large drip pan full of water as sort of a heat deflector. Can't wait!

MadMedik: Did beef back ribs this weekend based on your posts - 300 for 2.5 hours indirect, then a 1 hr rest in foil wrapped with towels in a cooler. Didn't use a pan of water but did spritz with a light mop a couple of times. It was my first time and they came out fantastic!! Can't wait to do them again IF I can find them!! If you don't mind me asking, how do you do your pork ribs?