normstar

Lid open or closed?

Hi guys - I was wondering if y'all cook with the kid open or closed when cooking a steak? Or any other meat for that matter.

Pre-KK I would sear my steaks in cast iron then finish them in the oven.

Do y'all sear first or do the reverse sear? And when searing, do you close the lid?

I'm cooking a Tri-top tomorrow and would appreciate some technique suggestions for that baby!

Andy

Re: Lid open or closed?

I cook my steaks, the old fashioned way, lid closed, normal sear. I saw a video recently where two chefs, cut two ribeyes off the same slab, one normal sear, one reverse. The result was, and they both agreed, the reverse was a bit more tender, the normal better flavor. With a dome temp of 700deg. or better, its just too easy to cook steaks on the lower grill, timing them for your preferred temp., and enjoying your meal.

I'm sure there are plenty of different opinions, but I really love my steaks, and thats what works best for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lid closed. Leaving it open subjects the gaskets to too much heat and you waste a lot of heat for nothing.

I use the standard grill, get the coals going nice and hot. Nothing crazy.. 600 or so, sear, then drop it down to 450 or so to penetrate. I did a tutorial on here a while back I'll see if I can dig it up.

I reverse sear by starting with the meat way up top in a heat soaked dome that reads 200F. I like the flavor I get in that position. I pull the meat out at 120 and immediately sear for 30 seconds per side on my weber gasser that is already per-heated to 700F and oiled. This yields med-med rare steaks.

Depends on the thickness of the steak, as to which method is better, IMHO.

I did a 1 1/2" thick porterhouse last night. Upper grill inverted on the basket, pulled the thermometer out of the grill at 700F (to avoid overranging and recalibration), so the sear grill was probably 900F+. 5 mins on each side, then put on the main grill and roasted for another 15 minutes with all the vents closed off, pulled off and rested for another 10 minutes. Still a bit too rare in the middle (shooting for medium rare). I would have left it on longer, but all the sides were ready. I know, should'ah checked it with a meat probe before pulling it off the grill. Still pretty damn yummy nonetheless!

Next time, with a steak this thick, I'll reverse sear it and see if I get more predictable results. And yes, I'll use a meat probe to check the internal temps before searing. :wink:

Tony with thick cuts I find that lowering the initial temp helps the heat penetrate to cook the interior and the outside doesn't look like a meteor. You still get a great crust just by virtue or time/side. Still, won't have the "full red(pink)" interior of a reverse sear. Just another option.

I'm waaay too lazy to bother with reverse searing.

I let the seasoned steaks sit on a grill rack for an hour or so

to get to room temp and dry off a bit.

Then it's off to the races-600+ dome and lower rack

(well,small grill resting on the lumpsaver handles)

1,2 min per side - Robert's your father's brother!

The lid's closed,mostly,BTW.

(I do like my stuff 'bellerin' rare')

dub(unless the room temp warmup counts as a pre-sear cook)

I hear ya, Dub. I generally prefer my steak to still have some MOO left in it, but this one was still cold in the middle.

Hey, but that's the fun of this right?! If it didn't come out perfect, try again! DAMN, I hate when I have to keep cooking big, thick, very juicy, steaks until I get the technique dialed in!!! :laughing6: