Johnny

Rump steak

Cooked some rump steaks this evening.......These were the best I have tasted in a long time.

I used a method I learned from Larry R on his steak video.

I salted the steaks for an hour prior to cooking them. It really does open up the steaks, and the family loves the salty taste of the steaks.

Pre heated the Komodo to 650 ℉ Then sooked them for 2 minutes each side on the lower grill.

Then I took the steaks out for a few minutes, while I put the middle grill in the Komodo. Then put the steaks back in for another 3 minutes, while also closing the tophatand lower vent.

First pic, after washing off the salt.

Second pic, after 2 minutes on the first side.

IMG_1198_zpsc38c1534.jpg

IMG_1199_zps3be78900.jpg

I'll have a look next time I'm at Costco!   Yesterday Costco had USDA Prime grade tri-tip yesterday here in Monterey CA.   $7.99/lb.

You may/may not be familiar with all things tri-tip and Santa Maria, California.  Santa Maria claims to have put tri-tip on the map...regardless one thing that makes Santa Maria style tri-tip unique is their use of red oak logs for smoke-roasting.   I have, since moving to California last summer and about a 2-hour drive north of the town of Santa Maria, started using red oak filet chunks (no bark) and have to say tri-tip and red oak smoke do go together quite nicely.

Cheers,

Dan

I'm originally from Omaha...left in '96...and I don't remember tri-tip there either.  "Triangle steaks" was the only thing I remember with "tri" in it.  Coulotte steaks was another we had there.  Amazing how many different names for the same cut of beef...depending upon regional location.  

We ate the living you-know-what out of skirt, flap and flank steak just a few years ago.  Especially skirt.  Our friends thought we were buying something exotic.  Now I struggle to cough up the cash.  Wal-Mart had London Broil for $6.98 a pound the other day.  What a joke.  Chuck is regularly 6 a pound, unless you wait for a sale.

Stock up now folks in the US. Beef prices will be going up even more this spring. Ranchers lost a lot of head due to the bitter winter that we've had here in the Midwest. So, when the current "glut" is bought up, supply will drop off and prices will jump up.

My newspaper had an article today that this is the 7th coldest winter on record going back over 130 years of recordkeeping. Coldest in the last 25 years. :cold:

I've heard tri tips were called a Sirloin Tip by those down under that know meat here in Bali..

DJ and I were just talking about the full of flavor, cut across the grain meats..

These are all flavorful, great value or used to be great value pieces of meat..

Flat iron 

Flank
Skirt
Tri tip
Hanger