Johnny

Chicken

Nice pic of the pebble KK!!

If you want crispier skin, you'll want to cook it at a higher temperature: 375F - 425F. I also put it on the upper grill to be closer to the dome walls.

Also, for others, if you've run across posts talking about "spatchcocked" chicken, this is it - butterflied. You take a whole chicken and cut out the backbone with poultry/kitchen shears. Then pop the thigh joints so it lies flat. You can also crack the breastbone to get it even flatter (if you're doing Tuscan Brick Chicken), but I generally don't go that far.

I call this Spatchcock chicken

My cook notes say:

Spatchcock Chicken:

375 degree, Main Level grill , No Smoke, Direct

1 hour and 15 minutes Total cook time. Start ribs down, turn to breast down after 30 minutes

Cook to 165 IT.

I have done many times. The skin is very crisp. As you cook at end if you think skin is too dark, just flip back over to ribs side until done. I never flip back over. Love this chicken!!!

Weather has broken for a couple of days (above freezing), so I had to fire up the KK while I had the chance.

First up was cold smoked almonds. Second time doing this and will keep doing it as they come out yummy! CostCo has 3 lb bags of raw almonds that work perfectly for this. Almonds started out on cherry wood at about 100F for 30 minutes. They weren't toasting quite as well as I wanted, plus I started to get pushed for time to cook my chicken for dinner. So, I let the KK start to come up to the chicken cooking temperature (375F). Pulled the almonds off after another 20 minutes (KK @ 250F).

Let the KK come on up to above 300F, then put on the spatchcocked chicken. Bird was injected with Butcher BBQ chicken marinade, then rubbed with Plowboy's Yardbird rub. KK reached 375F shortly after. Chicken was on for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Temps crept up near the end to 450F, but no worries, just helped out with crispy skin. Seriously juicy!!

post-975-0-99789300-1394217073_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-56799200-1394217094_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-24593000-1394217116_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-30411300-1394217132_thumb.jpg