normstar

Sous Vide and KK tri-tip

Gents,

Made the best tri-tip of my career this past weekend. It was a beautifully marbled 2.5 lb'er, either choice or prime I'm not sure. Only was able to take a before pic because the party was happening when it came off and I had to throw it to the wolves.

4 hours at 138 in the sous vide bath, then 2 mins/side over hot mesquite in the KK. Had the basket splitter installed and I still only filled the baste 1/2 way.

Here's the before, in the bag with salt, pepper, Rosemary and olive oil. Next time I'll cook for 6 hours and see if that tenderizes it any more.post-983-142414330673_thumb.jpg

Super looking tri-tip. 

As you are probably aware, there's no harm in going longer in a sous vide cook; but, I'm not sure that you're going to see much difference in texture with the extra 2 hours, as there's not a lot of collagen and fat to break down in a tri-tip. If you think that it's a bit on the tough side, consider using a quick marinade with papaya to help break down the proteins a bit more. Be careful, if you marinade it too long (or put it inside your sous vide pouch), it might break down too much and get mushy. I'd start with 30 minutes to an hour. Almost forgot, don't put it in the fridge, the papain reaction doesn't happen at low temps.

Here's some info from one of my favorite sources - AmazingRibs.com

Fresh pineapple, papaya, and ginger have enzymes that tenderize meatPapain, the enzyme in papaya, is an enzyme in papaya and the main tenderizing ingredient in Adolph’s Meat Tenderizer. These enzymes work fast. Within 30 to 60 minutes the meat is ready for the grill. Alas, pineapple and papaya add very little flavor to the meat in such a short time. Some people like the softer meat, others feel it is mushy. You decide. The enzymes are destroyed by the canning and bottling process, so be sure to use fresh pineapple, papaya, and ginger if you want the tenderizing.

A bit more info: http://www.indiacurry.com/faqhints/papayatenderizemeathow.htm

Also, pineapple and kiwi fruits also contain enzymes that tenderize meats. Again, be wary of too long contact or risk the mushy meat syndrome!

• Like 2

Good deal, CC. I've owned my Anova for some time now and can give you some tips. But, it's almost foolproof. Here's the book that I bought as a guide, but mainly use it now for the charts in the back of suggested time/temp for various foods. 

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Sous-Vide-Temperature-Techniques/dp/1456336975/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424202346&sr=1-9&keywords=sous+vide+cooking

I did a sous vide T-bone on Sunday, as it was too f-ing cold to fire up the KK. Almost didn't need the reverse sear (cast iron skillet on the stove). Damned tasty!

• Like 1

If you think that it's a bit on the tough side, consider using a quick marinade with papaya to help break down the proteins a bit more. Be careful, if you marinade it too long (or put it inside your sous vide pouch), it might break down too much and get mushy. I'd start with 30 minutes to an hour. Almost forgot, don't put it in the fridge, the papain reaction doesn't happen at low temps.

Here's some info from one of my favorite sources - AmazingRibs.com

Fresh pineapple, papaya, and ginger have enzymes that tenderize meat. Papain, the enzyme in papaya, is an enzyme in papaya and the main tenderizing ingredient in Adolph’s Meat Tenderizer. These enzymes work fast. Within 30 to 60 minutes the meat is ready for the grill. Alas, pineapple and papaya add very little flavor to the meat in such a short time. Some people like the softer meat, others feel it is mushy. You decide. The enzymes are destroyed by the canning and bottling process, so be sure to use fresh pineapple, papaya, and ginger if you want the tenderizing.

A bit more info: http://www.indiacurry.com/faqhints/papayatenderizemeathow.htm

Also, pineapple and kiwi fruits also contain enzymes that tenderize meats. Again, be wary of too long contact or risk the mushy meat syndrome!

Great post. Something I will keep in mind as I marinade meat frequently.

I love pineapple and I love ginger.

You'll have to share some of those marinade recipes with us!

I will soon. I haven't taken many marinade pictures yet. I will start taking some pictures and post the different recipes as I use them.

I would post some cook pictures but I don't currently own a kk (yet) and feel it's inappropriate to post a cook picture from a different brand of kamado. One day soon enough I'll own a kk then you all will get tired of seeing all my posts. :o

Doesn't take out the fun of cooking on the KK ?  My Tri Tips come out very good.  Am I missing something ?

Guessing you are referring to the SV method?  I bet your tips are amazing and doubt you are missing something.  It is a matter of having more fun toys to play with your food, tweak your recipes, collaborate, and enjoy something as routine as eating.  

I have been cooking passively SV for close to 3 years.  It comes and goes in spurts, and not all of it has been a success.  However, sometimes it is fun to season, bag, and SV something like a bunch of short ribs on Wed and cook them in a water bath straight thru to Sat before I sear them off.

SV for me is just an extension of having fun times with family and friends over some food and beverages-

Cheers-  P

• Like 1

Montana - nicely said! I just got my Anova Sous Vide after a conversation with Dennis. I'm looking forward to doing a Tri-Tip beginning today. This will be my first experiment/experience with SV. We're having a couple of friends over on Saturday evening and they both requested Tri-Tip based on previous experiences here at ChezChef. It will be interesting to see their reaction to this new method. Reverse sear Tri-Tip has always been one of my go to recipes, especially for SWMBOI, and it should be an experience. I'll get some pics and post them the first part of next week.

SV just gives me another arrow in the quiver. And according to some, I need all the help I can get, especially professional help! LOL!

SV just gives me another arrow in the quiver. And according to some, I need all the help I can get, especially professional help! LOL!

Seriously, dude, I don't think so! You crank out some crazy food already. You're going to have too much fun with the Anova. 

Another good tip from Dennis, for your 2nd tri-tip, sear it first, then bag it and dunk in the immersion bath to finish. Compare the 2 techniques and see if you have a preference?

• Like 1

Seriously, dude, I don't think so! You crank out some crazy food already. You're going to have too much fun with the Anova. 

Another good tip from Dennis, for your 2nd tri-tip, sear it first, then bag it and dunk in the immersion bath to finish. Compare the 2 techniques and see if you have a preference?

I'll let you know how it turns out. Nice rift! Thanks for the idea.

Tony,

Thanks I'll try 160 next time. I should order that book you guys recommend as well.

I ended up doing them at 140 for 48 hours and seated them first. I did NOT seat them again at the end, they looked perfect and still had a beautiful crust on them. I only tasted a small piece as they were for friends whom just had a baby. It was good, but the texture was more of a medium-rate steak so I can see why Tony says a higher temp such as 160 would do better for breaking down the collagen.