LeadDog

When Life Gives You A Ton Of .......

Ok here is a video of grapes getting even with some one stomping on them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJdCglISowo

Sorry Paul I have never encountered any one before that had your reaction to the way fermentors are emptied. You will notice that is only done for making Red wines. White wines and blushes/roses are made differently and no feet or other body parts are involved.

I'm curious if other people also had a similar reaction to this fact also? I have seen many pictures of similar activities on winery websites like it is something to be proud of but they actually could be turning people off. The winery where I work at now fits into the 24% category, we use pumps to sluice the pomace to the press.

Sorry Paul I have never encountered any one before that had your reaction to the way fermentors are emptied. You will notice that is only done for making Red wines. White wines and blushes/roses are made differently and no feet or other body parts are involved.

I'm curious if other people also had a similar reaction to this fact also? I have seen many pictures of similar activities on winery websites like it is something to be proud of but they actually could be turning people off. The winery where I work at now fits into the 24% category, we use pumps to sluice the pomace to the press.

I was being half earnest/half joking :shock:

I do enjoy my reds and figure (giving the whole process and volume of wine involved) it's not going to make a taste difference otherwise sommeliers would go like:

hmmmm nice bouquet and peppery finish but I reckon the winemaker hasn't washed his feet in (has another sip) Oh 2 or 3 days?? :P

I would love to visit your farm (to pick up a bottle of wine) when I next come to the states but the mainland trip has been postponed for another year (Hawaii next July though).

What part of Hawaii you headin to

Not sure yet, depends on how long I'm taking of work (2 or 3 islands?) definitely stay in honolulu for a few days. Beyond that dunno, our neighbours lived in Hawaii for years (in the sixties so probably changed a bit). My wife went years ago as well...

So suggestions?? (Deej is going to move this out of the thread whaddya reckon??) 8)

I was being half earnest/half joking :shock:

I do enjoy my reds and figure (giving the whole process and volume of wine involved) it's not going to make a taste difference otherwise sommeliers would go like:

hmmmm nice bouquet and peppery finish but I reckon the winemaker hasn't washed his feet in (has another sip) Oh 2 or 3 days?? :P

I would love to visit your farm (to pick up a bottle of wine) when I next come to the states but the mainland trip has been postponed for another year (Hawaii next July though).

You sounded so serious. That is the problem of only being able to see the text.

Now that would be a funny situation to have a sommelier say something like that.

Sure drop by and pick up some wine when you get to California next time.

What part of Hawaii you headin to

Not sure yet, depends on how long I'm taking of work (2 or 3 islands?) definitely stay in honolulu for a few days. Beyond that dunno, our neighbours lived in Hawaii for years (in the sixties so probably changed a bit). My wife went years ago as well...

So suggestions?? (Deej is going to move this out of the thread whaddya reckon??) 8)

Weather in July is generally hot an dry. Oahu [Honolulu] has over one million people that live there not including tourists so there can be alot of people a the beaches. Get out of the city and go to the north shore.

Kauai [the garden isle] is the wettest island but not so much in the summer months, very tropical. very green, nice beaches, not nearly as crowded as Oahu.

Maui [The valley isle] My home is the second largest next to Hawaii. Lots of great beaches. From the Hana side [tropical rain forest] to the west side [Lahaina that was once an old whaling town] very dry. In the summer at the beach temperatures can be in the low 90's head up to Haleakala and early morning it will be about 45. Lots to see and do

Hawaii [The big island] Is just that big, the drive from Kona to Hilo is about 2 hours. Again lots to see and do. Like all the islands there is a tropical wet side and a dry side, Hilo is a much greener than Kona. You also have the only active volcano in Hawaii, you can only drive so far then it's a hike over freshly hard lava to get to the lava flow. Hope that helped