bryan

Flank Steak

Bryan - flank steak is one of my personal favorites. I do about 133 for 8 hours or so, and finish with a raging hot sear on either one of my KKs. I serve either as Fajitas or I make sammies with garlic bread from the KK, sliced onion, tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, and creole mustard. Terribly tasty both ways.

I go from hot water bath to cold water bath (50/50 ice/water) minimum 30 min. From there to frige/freezer.

Cooking day = cold thaw - open bag - rinse under cold water.

Brown = Hot PAN (450-500*), torch etc 45-60 sec per side. Good eating to you!

What is the temp/time to sear the flank? Do you let it cool before searing, so the internal temp doesn't go too high? Asking now because I ordered the Anova Precision, and flank steak is my favorite cut, so I intend to combine the two. 

Hey Kravnh! You haven't posted in a while. Glad to hear from you!

You are absolutely gonna LOVE your Anova when it arrives. It does live up to the hype. 

I've never seen the need to cool meat cooked SV before searing (assuming it's an immediate step and not prepping for another day). I just pat off the surface to dry it, maybe sprinkle on a little more rub, then onto the KK (or CI pan) for a quick sear. Unless the cut is very thin (like 1/2" or less), I wouldn't worry about the IT going up much. But, just to be on the conservative side, I usually SV at about 5F lower than what I want my final IT to be to account for any carryover from the grill.

Have fun with it; play around and see what works best for you. Can't wait for your future posts about your adventures.

I, personally, don't see a need for it. That's one of the beauties of SV cooking, is the uniformity of the temperature internally after several hours (steady state). The outside is the same temperature as the center. There is no thermal gradient to cause the "carryover" IT increase with normal exterior cooking methods (i.e., grilling or roasting). Once removed from the bath, the center temperature of the meat can only go down. That's the second big benefit of SV (to me anyway) is that it really hard to overcook food and is very forgiving on cooking times. As long as you don't overdo the high temp sear (typically 1 minute per side), the interior should stay pretty close to where it was coming out of the bath.

post-975-0-02567400-1434992496_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Tony B, thanks for the welcome back! I have never been a prolific poster, but I had let my KK sit unused for quite some time, and strayed from the forum as well. Life gets in the way sometimes - work, bought a new house, moving, etc., etc., etc. Anyway, I've been back at it, cooking on my KK at least once/week since May. I've had to go back and look at some of my old recipes to remember time/temp on some stuff!

I probably won't get to use the Anova until after this weekend, but some things I'm very excited to try are flank steak, rib eye, pork tenderloin, and fish. Any tips or tricks that any of you guys have for those items or any others will be welcomed!

Bryan, sorry to threadjack. Looking forward to sharing SV info with y'all!

No problems here and welcome back. Looking forward to your post and recipes.

Here is a list from my cookbook. It may serve to get you started.

P-Tenderloin (sv132.8=90m) 01# *

P-Tenderloin (sv135=1h) 01# Sweet & Sour sauce

P-Tenderloin (sv135=2-4h) Perfectly Simple

P-Tenderloin (sv135=2h) 02# *

P-Tenderloin (sv135=3h) 02# Risotto *

P-Tenderloin (sv138-140=90m-3h) 02# Hoisin *

P-Tenderloin (sv138=8h-gP) 03# Roulade Stuffed

P-Tenderloin (sv140=4h) 01# Char KK *

P-Tenderloin (sv141=90m-2h) 02# jb *

P-Tenderloin (sv141=90m-2h) 02# Poached w/Bacon Fat *

Cannot help on good steaks. Would only use sous vide if serving large group and wanted to seve all at one time. Then would pre cook at the desired doneness choices and hold in water bath at 140* until time to rinse, dry, and brown.

As a matter of fact, I just did a SV cook of Chilean Sea Bass for dinner tonight. AWESOME! Sorry, no pics, it wouldn't have done this cook justice, as it was all about the texture. Perfectly flaky and moist. 

Details - nice sea bass steak, about 2 1/2" thick. Brushed lightly with oil to hold the seasoning on, Plowboys - Fin & Feather, lightly dusted. Into the vacuum bag. A small pat of butter (~1/4" thick) on each side of the fish (think butter poached!) Into a 129F bath for 20 minutes. Stashed the bag juice for dipping tableside. The fish went onto the KK, lower grate, 350F dome (I was doing squash and asparagus on the main grate first), about a couple of minutes on each side, just until it released from the grate without sticking. Wasn't looking to sear, per se, just to impart a bit of color and smoky flavor.

All I can say is - WOW. One of the best pieces of fish that I've ever eaten! 

ckreef, I know that we've been pushing you pretty hard to get an Anova, but you have no idea what you're missing out on. Buckle down and just buy it!! It's like buying your first KK - no buyer's remorse, and kicking yourself for not doing it sooner!! Just saying!

• Like 1

Other than mortgage and car loan we are really, really close to being debt free. It won't be long now.

My wife and I were debt-free, with the exception of a mortgage, from 2007-2014. It was wonderful! There were trade-offs, of course, like my 2004 truck and my wife's 2000 Subaru, which broke down at regular intervals. Then, last year, we finally decided to buy a new car. And as if that weren't enough, we then went and bought a new house. And if THAT weren't enough, we didn't sell the old house (but we rent it). Now we have one car payment and two mortgages - but other that that, we're totally debt-free!  :tongue1:

• Like 1