Outdoorchef

Baby Back ribs

Baby back ribs on the Komodo are easy and quick, two hours! We had two lady doctors purchase a Komodo and they love their ribs as follows:

Remove membrane from ribs

Lightly coat with mustard

spinkle on Smokin In the Dark Spicy Rub

Spinkle on some Sugar in the Raw (do both on these on meaty side only for now)

Place on Komodo, temperature at 225, meaty side down for thirty minutes (now is when you season the bone side of the ribs)

After 30 minutes turn ribs and mist with apple juice.

After 1.5 hours start basting with a mixture of bbq sauce, apple juice and butter.

They love Red Mudd mixed with Orange Chipotle Grilling Glaze

When ribs "crack" when bent, remove and enjoy.

I use the 3-2-1 method. Baby back slabs, membrane removed. Apply rub liberally. Leave for >4 h in refrigerator. Set up K indirect on main grill, cook 3 h at 225-250. Remove and coat both sides with apple juice with dissolved raw sugar and honey to taste. I use a brush. Wrap in foil, cook for 2 h more. Remove foil, cook on grill 1 h. Reserve the juices and reduce by 1/2. Brush on ribs. Works very well. Ribs fall off bone, have nice crust without much residual fat.

Jim

Ribs 2 night

Tracked down some nice meaty PORK ribs imported to Islamic Java from Hindu Bali...

Could not figure out how to take the membrane off.. took part of one layer off but I think I left one.

Marinated overnight in a store-bought red-wine garlic brew.

Rubbed it down with some olive oil and rubbed in a bit of brown sugar, sea salt, black pepper, rosemary, garlic,white pepper, mustard powder, parsley and onion.

Filled up that black textured OTB with local hardwood lump. Set up super indirect using a metal disc with the heat deflector on top wrapped in tin foil, with a bigfoil drip pan on top of that. Four hours at 235º stopping twice to wet liberally with apple juice with honey..

My wife and I ate them all at 10:30 after eating dinner at 7.. Hardly took a breath they were so good..

You tell me how they look..

:wink:

Ribs.jpg

don't tell me your new little girl didn't get one! never too young to appreciate good Q!! :wink: (you two did just recently have a little girl, right??)

to islamic java from hindu bali?? were they pork or beef ribs?? or ostrich? :lol: looks like you got a whole SIDE of something there! looks great!

better make sure you DO breathe next time tho; you need to stick around, at least until I get my KK ordered! :wink:

Ribs 2 night

That was dome temp using a digital thermometer with a 2 1/4" probe. My Tru Tel was stolen and my Maverick is out on loan in Bali.

My sister Laura who is an amazing cook/chef sent me this tip:

So here's the trick with the membrane. Grab it with some paper towel and pull. I know that sounds stupid, but Hugh Carpenter shared that trick and it's like a miracle. Just need the traction that a paper towel will give...

Larissa:

I'm having a great time with my lil princess.. I'm a very hands on daddy and she goes everywhere with us. So I'm with her 24/7. I do all the diaper changes on the night shift and the morning bath. Can't get enough of her.. and yes she's only six months and already getting heavyish..

Something I've learned.. Pick up the baby and she feels what she is 15 lbs. At 10 minutes she becomes 20 lbs, 30 lbs at 30 minutes and that's right 50 lbs after 1 hour... I also have felt new aches in my back previously undiscovered but I'm not gonna stop carrying her!