DennisLinkletter

Komodo Kamado 42" SBB is a reality!

Dennis, do you have any concerns about creating a hotspot in the middle where the vent and the chimney create their vortex? On smaller units I imagine it's not as big of an issue, though even in my 21" direct heat is still obviously in the middle. But the affected area would be much more pronounced as the width increases. Anyone with the 32" notice heat variances from the sides versus the middle like this? Just curious. :)

You MUST be an engineer! 

Dennis, do you have any concerns about creating a hotspot in the middle where the vent and the chimney create their vortex? On smaller units I imagine it's not as big of an issue, though even in my 21" direct heat is still obviously in the middle. But the affected area would be much more pronounced as the width increases. Anyone with the 32" notice heat variances from the sides versus the middle like this? Just curious. :)

There is no doubt that Dennis thought about everything; he can't help it. Coming from an older design that looked turned on a lathe, the asymmetric shape of a KK looked funny at first to me. It is entirely deliberate, for example to maximize height over the grill. Dennis thought about convection, placing the chimney that far back. (Aaron Franklin, another smoke whisperer of Franklin Barbecue fame, also reworked chimney positions for his designs.)

A key factor here is that any KK is far better insulated than other brands in the category. So there simply isn't that much convection, even at high temperatures, compared to other cookers. KKs stabilize, quickly, and one needs and wants less airflow.