macpiper

gas question

I have been wondering, who has the KK gas door and uses it for cooking? I know Tony does, anyone else? Hows it perform?

I have the gas option for my inferior branded cooker, and all it is good for is starting the fire, and at that it is only good at half throttle. Any more and there is too much soot and unburned gas. Trying to cook on the gas alone is impossible, the mixture is far too rich and the burn inefficient. The flames are all orange, soot all over, and if it goes out...well, that would be one way to fix all its problems :smt084

How does the KK gas perform as a cooking fuel? Hows the temp range?

I have been wondering, who has the KK gas door and uses it for cooking? I know Tony does, anyone else? Hows it perform?

I have the gas option for my inferior branded cooker, and all it is good for is starting the fire, and at that it is only good at half throttle. Any more and there is too much soot and unburned gas. Trying to cook on the gas alone is impossible, the mixture is far too rich and the burn inefficient. The flames are all orange, soot all over, and if it goes out...well, that would be one way to fix all its problems :smt084

How does the KK gas perform as a cooking fuel? Hows the temp range?

Just an observation from my old grill; the jet got clogged which lowers the pressure, therefore not as much air is pulled in with the gas. It might be a benefit for you to try cleaning your jet out. You have to remove the valve to do so. Might want to count the number of turns to remove the valve if it once burned OK; if not that is another adjustment that might help. Lastly, make sure the holes on the head are clear too.

-=Jasen=-

I have taken that thing apart as far as it would go. Even removed the Orifice to make sure I had the smaller LP one. I am not sure it EVER worked right :?

I think I saw blue flame from it ONCE when I was using it to heat/clean the grill with the firebox removed (dont tell porkchop). But with the fire ring in place, it hoses up the mixture and if I open it more than half throttle, it will blow out or burn way too rich. And we know that removing the brittle firebox is bad news :D

Sanny, does yours burn with a nice clean, blue flame when you have the firebox and lumpsaver in the grill?

I have the gas but haven't installed it yet, there is a small problem with the thread size and I think I'm expecting another valve. Now that I have had the KK for nearly 2 weeks, I'm not sure if I would even get the gas. I suspect it will be faster to get to the higher temps but I'm thinking it may increase the chance of a large overshoot. I had kinda figured I'd use the gas door to cook as if I have to swap it around all the time it could get more cumbersome that just using the torch to light (I have been using a MAPP gas torch - newspaper a couple of times)

I would think the burner would fill with ash in a hurry and would probably need to be pulled out and cleaned/dumped before each use. :smt102

I was thinking the same thing. I would likely only use it for ignition, like I do with my current POS. But it sure looks like a decent functioning burner, and in that event it may be handy to have for an occasional fast cook, like if the wife wants to grill hotdogs when I am gone, or maybe a quick sear on some blackened salmon or such. No way it would be my primary fuel source...as bugs would say, "That's unAmerican"

Empty ashes from burner..30 second job

I would think the burner would fill with ash in a hurry and would probably need to be pulled out and cleaned/dumped before each use. :smt102

Yup, but this is a 30 second job... Slide it out and tap it on some newspaper, then slide it back in. It can also still be used with some ashes on top..

:wink::wink: