tcoliver

Coconut Charcoal

Anyone interested in researching how to purchase a container of Coconut Charcoal? Please go to this link and lets see if we can get some interest on this forum and order some. I have used and sold this product for Mexi-K. There are good reviews for it. Personnally I would only use it for low and slows. There is no real benefit for normal or high temp cooks as you will go thru a box in two or three cooks; however for low and slow you can get a 17 hour cook with about 1/3 - 1/2 a box and you will not have to touch it at all. Please check it out and give me your thoughts. http://www.anteromas.com/charcoalbriquettes.html

Tony

I wouldn't mind getting in pending pricing. I've been using Humphrey Natural Lump:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag39.htm

It's great stuff and at for $11 for a 20# bag I haven't had much motivation to look for another brand/source. I did get some of the extruded lump with my mK. ... it too was great stuff but it was pricey and a hassle to purchase.

We are in the process of learning all the particulars, it would help if you could send me a PM with your email and phone numbers so I could put together a database of who is interested. Also state if you have any experience in shipping overseas, have storage space available or anything else that may help. Thanks.

If you stock it...they will come

The other forum a chock full of people all over the US who swear by this stuff, and will order 10, 20, 50 boxes or more at a time. Since the other guys cant seem to get the stuff, keep it in stock, and get it out when people order it, I have no doubt that a container could easily be sold. If some could be warehoused at a few strategic locations around the country - it would continuously turn over. especially here in FL and the south where we out outdoor cooking season runs year round.

My 2 cents...

y'know, thanks to wes (saunka), i got to try a box. i have to say, i wasn't that impressed... my observations:

1) HARD to light. it was a serious pain in the be-hind

2) no smoke; personally, i like my lump to add some smokiness and flavor

3) hard to get up to high temps (no idea why)

4) unused briquettes "fell apart" when i went into the cooker for a second cook, it seemed like the unused portions of the briquettes were very fragile. probably due to the fact there are no "binders". since it's a pressure-extruded charcoal, i bet the briquettes that didn't burn expanded a bit during the cook, and this loosened the pressure bond (or whatever, not a scientist)

5) seemed like a lot of ash

so, as much as i've heard about this stuff, i really don't think it's for me. i'll stick to my royal oak lump. got a big bag of patio chef from peoria that i'm saving for a overnighter; i really like that stuff!

anyway, fwiw...

Hmmm, I found low ash compared to other charcoals when I measured it on a test burn. I also found that it is not smokeless and does give a fairly pronounced flavor to food. You are correct about the charcoal getting kinda fragile after it has been in a fire. I also found I could get it fairly hot, but not as hot as others, probably about in the middle of the range. FWIW.....

that's "anecdotal" evidence for ya! course, i didn't use the scientific methods you do. but you know what they say about first impressions and all...

i enjoyed the experience, tho. cut down on the jealousy factor a bit. i'm happy with the ol' wally world RO lump, or even *gasp* cowboy lump from mee-nards...

i like that meenards is carrying a nice variety of wood chips now too. i can get cherry, maple, or apple for cheap, when compared to what the local pool store/bge dealer wants for them...

Re: My 2 cents...

y'know, thanks to wes (saunka), i got to try a box. i have to say, i wasn't that impressed... my observations:

1) HARD to light. it was a serious pain in the be-hind

2) no smoke; personally, i like my lump to add some smokiness and flavor

3) hard to get up to high temps (no idea why)

4) unused briquettes "fell apart" when i went into the cooker for a second cook, it seemed like the unused portions of the briquettes were very fragile. probably due to the fact there are no "binders". since it's a pressure-extruded charcoal, i bet the briquettes that didn't burn expanded a bit during the cook, and this loosened the pressure bond (or whatever, not a scientist)

5) seemed like a lot of ash

so, as much as i've heard about this stuff, i really don't think it's for me. i'll stick to my royal oak lump. got a big bag of patio chef from peoria that i'm saving for a overnighter; i really like that stuff!

anyway, fwiw...

1.) I light mine with 2-3 sheets of news paper and a chimney. Also works with wax starter cubes

2.) This is a plus if you want to cook things like breads and cakes in your K without smokey flavor. When I use it for over night cooks, I add some hickory chunks.

3.) This is true. No idea why, but I only use it for overnights or low and slows.

4.) Never seen this before. Were these unused ones still black?

5.) I find I have way less ash with these than with regular lump.

Different strokes for different folks, but keeping it going for 20 hours unassisted is a snap with the CEL. I find I have more hassles when using Royal Oak for BBQing. Grilling, I use Royal Oak exclusively.

man, wes. sure didn't want to sound ungrateful... hope it didn't come across that way. yeah, the unused briquettes were black. you know how lump does; part of a corner or something burns, but the rest is fine. i IMAGINE using it for low and slow, you don't really get the expansion factor, but when you try for higher temps, they do. dunno...

so, sorry if i came across as a butthead...

Hi all,

I'm a new member of the forum,[been reading it for a while] and just want to say with regard to charcoal, try to get an Australian product called"HEATBEADS". This stuff burns very hot with very little smoke{which is good when you have neighbors close] and because of it's high heat potential is great for searing meat

man, wes. sure didn't want to sound ungrateful... hope it didn't come across that way. yeah, the unused briquettes were black. you know how lump does; part of a corner or something burns, but the rest is fine. i IMAGINE using it for low and slow, you don't really get the expansion factor, but when you try for higher temps, they do. dunno...

so, sorry if i came across as a butthead...

Not at all, I just wanted to share what I'd discovered too. I absolutely hate the stuff for trying to cook a steak in the 750 degree range. But I've put half a box in the K and had it roll for 20 hours without touching it too. It's important that you get a lot of it lit when you do that though.