twharton

First Cook In Gulf Breeze - Phase 1

Ten minutes after fire start and lid closure Gigantor awakes.

PC010020.jpg

After 30 minutes....

PC010022.jpg

Then I clamped down, opened bottom 1/8 and top 1/4. I overshot my 225 goal but held steady @ 250 after 35 minutes.

PC010029.jpg

Meat after being rubbed and relaxing in fridge.

PC010008.jpg

On it goes...

PC010026.jpg

After 6 hours...wife and kids won't stop picking at it. Me Got Big Happiness Inside!

PC010033.jpg

Foodsaverd' the rest and Phase 2 will be under new post. A rousing success but I need some guidance. See following reply.

twharton

The setup....

After placing full bag of lump in Gigantor (see previous posts) the deflector would not fit on top of the fire grate so I placed it on top of the bottom grill.

Is this o.k....I mean it is because the cook was awesome but I can't really use the bottom now and I need the space as you can see in the next post (Phase 2 Beginning).

I've seen some of porkchop's setups and it looks like he's got a side of beef in there so I need configuration pointers PLEASE!

You can use the bottom grill, but be careful with the stones weight under high temps for long periods. I think it was Fetzer who reported he warped his grate like that. :shock:

You dont need the whole bag of lump in there. Once it burns down some, you can move your stone down. Otherwise look for more efficient ways to fit the contents. You could fit twice as many racks of ribs on the main grate if you had some sort of rack to stand them in. Absent of that, you could skewer them together in a few places to hold them several inches apart, and upright?

BTW, mighty tasty looking loin - what did you season with?

Re: The setup....

After placing full bag of lump in Gigantor (see previous posts) the deflector would not fit on top of the fire grate so I placed it on top of the bottom grill.

Is this o.k....I mean it is because the cook was awesome but I can't really use the bottom now and I need the space as you can see in the next post (Phase 2 Beginning).

I've seen some of porkchop's setups and it looks like he's got a side of beef in there so I need configuration pointers PLEASE!

I've probably not put a full bag of lump in at once, but I have set the deflector on lump because it was above the fire basket prop. You did take the ring out of the basket didn't you? I wouldn't recommend using he HD on the lower grill when doing a hot cook (pizza) I warped my lower from the high temps and the heavy weight on it.

My Rub and Thanks...

Thanks for the guidance about the charcoal amount to start.

This loin was tasty and the truest test is a 15 yr old boy crazy finicky teenage girl who couldn't keep away!

I used the following rub which was based on Rox's Rub from the Naked Whiz. The amounts below vary slightly in the following way..used 1 cup instead of 1/2 cup brown sugar (I will use more in the future, probably 2 cups. I didn't have chili powder so just added 1 tbs cayenne pepper and increased the paprika from 1 to 3 tbl. In the future I will increase the cumin from 2 to 4 tbs along with the missing 2 tbs of chili powder. Here's what I recommend....

1 Cup Tony Chachere's Seasoning (for those of in love with the foreign country of Louisiana like myself if you know about Konriko use that but it's hard to find and Tony's is fine and readily available)

1/2 Cup Lowery's Seasoned Salt (I might change this in the future but it works!)

2 Cups Brown Sugar (dry)

4 tbl Cumin

3 tbl Garlic Powder (not garlic salt)

2 tbl Chili Powder

2 tbl Thyme or Italian Seasoning (w/out salt)

1 tbl Coriander

3 tbls Paprika

1 tbl Cayenne Pepper (adds a sublte afterburn but won't burn out the lightweights among us...more is ok if you are hardcore)

It was 9.i lbs. I'm prepping 3 more tonight for our Xmas party for about 60 tomorrow. 30 lbs of Pork Loin + 30 lbs of fresh Gulf shrimp.....HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!

twharton

Gulf Breeze, FL

"Where Thousands Live The Way Millions Wish They Could"

P.S. My wife forgot to pickup bacon today for A.B.T.'s. I've got everything else required but I still love her cos she loves my Kookin'!

P.P.S. I did 3 racks of ribs today (pics later) that the tribe devoured for dinner (1 rack / foodsaverd 2) but I'm not satisfied but only because I rubbed them down and put them on immediately....I know it would have been a true culinary experience if they had soaked it up (1 part Brown Suger / 3 parts Emeri's Essence BAM!) overnight.

P.P.P.S. Shout out to PorkChop for Savin' My Butts...HAHA

Re: My Rub and Thanks...

P.S. My wife forgot to pickup bacon today for A.B.T.'s. I've got everything else required but I still love her cos she loves my Kookin'!

Yeah, she's prolly having 2nd thoughts about kickin yer sorry behind out now that she's seen what you can do with that KK. Wait'll ya go to bed tonight...it justs gets betta :roll::roll:

My Take On Mr. Rox's Rub

I did not know it was on Whizzy's website though. John Rox lives around here and is an Green Egger.

It came from one of the many "books" on the Whiz site so it's not obvious.

Thanks to all and again I bow down to the god of BBK...Dennis Linkletter! I love you man! :smt111

twharton