ckreef

Reef's Lump Comparison

6 hours ago, ThreeDJ16 said:

Misread...

But yeah, I'd never use green wood (nasty chemicals) or even wet wood.  We've used wood that we dried ourselves for many years without issue. My subdivision has lots of pecan trees and they (used to know) I got the pecan limbs around here...LOL.  That stopped years ago unfortunately.  I need to get with the groundskeepers again and see about getting a limb or two.  Pecan was my favorite smoke wood.

I understand the fully dried wood but I still think there would be a difference from that and kiln dried wood but I could be wrong. 

30 minutes ago, ckreef said:

I understand the fully dried wood but I still think there would be a difference from that and kiln dried wood but I could be wrong. 

Everything I've read states moisture below 20% is good and the wood don't care how it gets there.  I mean we've been using dried wood for smoking and cooking long before big box stores.  Typical time is supposed to be 6 month in a dry location for proper moisture levels.

• Like 1

Fogo Quebracho final results have been posted. A good long burn at 30:46 and very stable all the way to the end. 

I have 3 more lumps I want to try, Komodo Kamado CoffeeChar, Jealous Devil and Fogo Brazilian Eucalyptus. Currently only have one of the three sitting at the house so I'll probably take a break next weekend to give me time to get the other two lumps. 

I updated my original thread over on Guru with the last 3 lumps. 

General pictures and price in post #1 

Size pictures and density for the last 3 lumps added to the bottom of post #2. 

Glad that dirty, messy phase is over. Now I can move on to the burn tests. 

Komodo Kamado CoffeeChar is hand packed boxes. There was almost no fines/dust and after dumping the box out I had a hard time getting it all back in the box. I was impressed. 

I wasn't impressed with the Eucalyptus lump, lots of smalls. 

Jealous Devil had a lot of fines but overall the size of the pieces is what I'm looking for in a lump and it was right near the top for density, can't wait to try a burn. 

• Like 1

So whatever happened to Doug (Naked Whiz)?  He totally dropped off the radar?  

I think it's great that you picked up where he left off.....Mr. Naked Reef or Reef Whiz....LOL.  Actually those both sound pretty bad, guess we better stick to ckreef....LOL.

Been burning up my old boxes of early KK CEL and it still looks and cooks great.  I do prefer to add in some lump to help it spread better.  But it's been so long since buying any charcoal, add to use what was on hand.  LOL..need to get off my butt and go get some more.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ThreeDJ16 said:

So whatever happened to Doug (Naked Whiz)?  He totally dropped off the radar?  

I think it's great that you picked up where he left off.....Mr. Naked Reef or Reef Whiz....LOL.  Actually those both sound pretty bad, guess we better stick to ckreef....LOL.

Been burning up my old boxes of early KK CEL and it still looks and cooks great.  I do prefer to add in some lump to help it spread better.  But it's been so long since buying any charcoal, add to use what was on hand.  LOL..need to get off my butt and go get some more.

The Naked Wiz is still around. I did this just to compare RO and RO XL. I sort of took it over the top adding 11 more lumps to that original idea. After these last 3 are done I doubt I'll do any more. 

The 500* tests for Fogo Eucalyptus, Jealous Devil, and Komodo Kamado CoffeeChar have been posted at the bottom of post #3 in the original Guru thread. 

I wasn't impressed with the Eucalyptus lump. 

Both the Jealous Devil and the Komodo Kamado CoffeeChar lumps had pieces that were the perfect size for me. They both did a good job with the 500* test. 

I need my controller for something else this weekend so I won't be able to start the low-n-slow tests until next weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1