Buzilo

New Kamado Owner

Good morning/afternoon/evening to everyone. 

I just took the leap and made the purchase to a 21 inch Kamado Kamado Supreme.  I have been using a BGE (Large) for 10 years almost daily.  I am looking forward for the new baby :) to arrive in it's new home.  In the meantime, I thought to reach out to you to ask if anyone has any tips for me.  A few items I am wondering about is break in period/ how to.  Also how to clean the exterior and every how long.  Any other information would be appreciated. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

Welcome! You're going to love your new KK.

You need to do the "burn-in". Heat up to 500°F and hold for an hour, increase temp to 550°F and hold for a couple of hours, increase to 600°F and hold till there's no chemical smell. Make sure you have something ready to cook so you don't waste all that heat. As far as cleaning, Zep 505 and a soft rag works good on the outside. Lots of info on this stuff in the forum.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Obsession! You are in for a big surprise when you compare the KK to the BGE in construction quality and more importantly, in the improvement in the food that you will be able to produce in the KK. 

As others have noted, there's a one-time burn-in when you want to cook something over 450F. If you're just doing low & slow stuff, the burn-in can wait. Everyone frets the burn-in, but's really not as bad as folks fear. Just plan to cook something during the process (the venting all takes place on the exterior of the grill and not inside where the food is). It just takes a fair amount of time, so have plenty of adult beverages handy! 

On 8/27/2019 at 4:06 PM, Alohapiggy said:

Flame boss has an adapter that works with the KK fan port.  I also have a 21 and I also had large egg(sold). Your gonna love your grill.  I’ve had mine for about 2 months.   Your gonna be totally impressed with size of the grill grates.  What color did u get? 

I got the bronze tiles.

On 8/27/2019 at 4:22 PM, tony b said:

Welcome to the Obsession! You are in for a big surprise when you compare the KK to the BGE in construction quality and more importantly, in the improvement in the food that you will be able to produce in the KK. 

As others have noted, there's a one-time burn-in when you want to cook something over 450F. If you're just doing low & slow stuff, the burn-in can wait. Everyone frets the burn-in, but's really not as bad as folks fear. Just plan to cook something during the process (the venting all takes place on the exterior of the grill and not inside where the food is). It just takes a fair amount of time, so have plenty of adult beverages handy! 

Thank you, I don't mind.  I love sitting outside listening to tunes and smelling charcoal :)

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 4:06 PM, Alohapiggy said:

Flame boss has an adapter that works with the KK fan port.  I also have a 21 and I also had large egg(sold). Your gonna love your grill.  I’ve had mine for about 2 months.   Your gonna be totally impressed with size of the grill grates.  What color did u get? 

I got the bronze, sorry I didn't see this sooner. I need to turn on notifications so I know I have a reply. 

• Like 1