hOTSAUCE

adding more wood chips

Aesthetically speaking then, the symmetrical design is a trade-off for an integrated hinge ?... The hinge cover on the classic is in the back and can be situated so that it is not noticeable. It is far superior to the mexi design with the tubes on the side with manual sets. Its function is far superior as well.

Not arguing that at all - just saying I like the integrated hinge on the OTB better than one of these.

I would trade my POSK, cracks and loose tile included, for a classic KK

ClassHngeW.jpg

OTB vs Classic shape

The Naked Whiz made a temperature measurement using precision instrument on both his BGE (classic shape) and the OTB KK. He posted those results in his evaluation of the KK on his forum. It was just one approach;not an ultimate instrumented test. Like testing for aircraft structural failure which we had instrumented at Wright-Patterson with hundreds of strain gauges and hydraulic poles to create all kinds of movement while taking data.

my 2 cents worth

I have been a proud owner of a classic KK now for four months, and have done quite a few cooks.

First on the issue of, are ceramic cookers better. I also have bbq'd on different types of grills and I say yes ceramic is superior, not only are they easier to use as they will maintain the temp you set for hours and hours without intervention; but they do make you a better chef because the end product is better. The end product is better because the cooker retains moisture better.

OTB vs CLASSIC: I debated long and hard before going with the supreme classic KK. I chose it mostly because of cost, Dennis had a sale going that I couldn't pass up, but I still worried that maybe I made a mistake. That maybe the OTB shape would grill more evenly across the grill and yadiyadiyaya a better end product. I now DO NOT BELEIVE IT! I cooked several racks of beef ribs last weekend and the rack or racks in the center of the grill were as good and well done as the racks on the edge of the grill. Scientific? Maybe not but certainly scrumdelicious, that's enough proof for me. Everything else I cooked so far also turned very very good.

So in conclusion: (every scientific report should end with a conclusion) :roll: The classic design was a good choice because I beleive the temp across the grill thing is insignificant and the dome of the classic will allow me put in a bigger turkey than an OTB would. Cost wise a better value. So Dennis continue to make the classics, their's a market out there.

Re: my 2 cents worth

...and the dome of the classic will allow me put in a bigger turkey than an OTB would. Cost wise a better value...

I was wanting a classic, but got an OTB because it was a scratch-n-dent return and I got a great deal on it. I have no earthly idea about the airflow deal, I'll just trust Dennis on that.

But I cooked a 22 lb turkey on the KK OTB and there seemed to be plenty of room in there. What size turkey you trying to cook :eek:

Re: my 2 cents worth

I. The end product is better because the cooker retains moisture better.

OTB vs CLASSIC: .... The classic design was a good choice because I believe the temp across the grill thing is insignificant and the dome of the classic will allow me put in a bigger turkey than an OTB would.

Moisture is really key. I don't know how many started with a $40 tin Brinkman or other silo cooker and tried to juggle the water pan without spilling it in the fire back in the day. However a foot thick ceramic cooker won't stop you from ruining a cook when your fire is too hot or your not going indirect when you should.

On my K, I use the upper bracket/grill often and need to be able to get at least 3 or butts up there, so I also think the classic shape has an advantage there. I am going to try to jam 12 butts in it in month, so I hope to remember to take pictures.

I would love to have either.

OTB Dome Shape

If you would like to see first hand the results from the even heat given off of the OTB dome shape, cook a pizza on top of an upper/sear grill.

Check a few times during the cook to see when and how the cheese melts.

Now do that in a Classic, the outside near the crusts will melt first and then become blackened before the dead center is melted completely.

You will see the difference..

Talk to a chef that cooks in an Italian style wood burning oven, he'll tell you that the heat is greatest next to the walls.