hOTSAUCE

adding more wood chips

Re: adding more wood chips

How do you all go about adding more wood chips during a cook? Even if you can move the food around a little to open the hinged part of the main grill' date=' you still have the HD in the way.[/quote']

Yeah, when it's indirect and the HD is in there...it's just really hard.

When I did my last cook, I had this problem. I started thinking about building some sort of a slide or tube that could go through the hinged part of the grate around the heat deflector, and over the coals. Then you just slide your wood chips down and they go to the right spot. Anyone ever try building something like this? I'm imagining some sort of a curved piece of metal with sides.

If you are using chips, you are wrapping them in foil first, to keep them from burning up too quickly, right? I suspect that just making the pouch flat enough to drop down beside the deflector would suffice. A foil pouch (with holes punched in it) just laying beside the basket should get hot enough to produce smoke.

No need to...

The meat will only take smoke in the first few hours of the cook.

Just load up with a several big chunks at the beginning of the cook. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a KK if you have to open the cooker to tend the fire. Get a cold one and relax.

DON'T OPEN THE COOKER UNTIL THE MEAT IS READY TO COME OUT!

Re: No need to...

The meat will only take smoke in the first few hours of the cook.

Just load up with a several big chunks at the beginning of the cook. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a KK if you have to open the cooker to tend the fire. Get a cold one and relax.

DON'T OPEN THE COOKER UNTIL THE MEAT IS READY TO COME OUT!

:supz::smt023

140º does it...

If my memory serves me, once your meat hits 140º it does not absorb much more smoke. That's why people cold smoke...

If I pre-soak big chunks, the smoke usually lasts thru the 140º cut off.

If you want more smoke put in more wood.

My family got tired of strong smoke flavored meat quickly.

My flavor target is the more subtle the smoke flavors now..

Photo w/ lots of wood courtesy of our very own TWharton

P2100017.jpg

Let me correct the misinformation that is circulating about smoke and 140 degrees. The SMOKE RING forms below 140 degrees. SMOKE FLAVOR will continue to accumulate on the meat as long as there is smoke in the cooker, regardless of the meat temperature.

The smoke ring is the result of a series of chemical reactions that can only occur below 140 degrees.

Smoke flavor is the result of the deposition of smoke particles on the surface of the meat, and this deposition continues as long as there is smoke present in the cooker.

As stated above just load up when u put the meat on. The hardest thing about this is not opening to peek before it's ready.

No....the hardest thing is not running out of frosty, malted, beverages.

No...the hardest thing is not posting photos every time I cook something.

No...the hardest thing is not expecting my wife and kids to roll on the ground and drool every time I think about KK'ing (The dogs do!)

No...the hardest thing is coming up with more hardest things.

No...the hardest thing is not feeling guilty for not posting in the 'Happy Kampers' section yet. (Sorry Dennis)

No...the hardest thing is________(fill in the blanks)_________

(Apologies to Monty Python and The Spanish Inquisition Sketch)

What? No ultrasound??? Do you know its gender? How to know what color to paint the nursery?

My Doctor is remiss in sending these items :oops: I went with the Terra blue, so it will have some brown in it...that way it will at least compliment its step-brother from Mexico! :evil:

How so, it does not have any pink in it?? hehe :shock:

-=Jasen=-