mungeti

Hello all from Iowa

Re: Hello all from Iowa

:thumbright: Welcome to the KK Club !!! :thumbleft:

I am a novice to grilling and looking forward to enhancing my skills. I hope to learn from all of you...

Don't sweat the "novice" stigma. I've never used a charcoal grill before I got my Gen 2. After the first cook, you'll understand how easy it is to control the temps. Dennis has a page in the manual that has pictures of the dampers for different temp ranges. Just use that as a starter guide and adjust from there. One thing I've noticed, each time I open the grill during a cook, the heat will escape. But once you close the lid, don't open up the dampers, just let it do its thing and it should get back to where it was before.

Wait till you see that thing in person. As good as they look in pictures, they are truly a piece of art. Makes you almost not want to get them dirty.

Almost.

Enjoy your new Komodo

We received our 2.... in Early winter and have been cooking, grilling, smoking since then. You will be the same way with yours; no mistake on your part. It probably won't float too well though. If the floods hit it might be a good idea to chain it in the most protected place you have, when the waters recede your's might be the only place to cook in town.

FOUL!!

I'm calling a foul on this one. Mungeti is clearly trying to enhance his status by claiming to be from Iowa, when his ID says Omaha....... Nice try buddy, but Iowa boys are hav'n it! :D

BTW, welcome to the KKlub, you won't regret it, and I guess we can make room for Husker (Hawkeye wannabe :lol: ).

Re: FOUL!!

I'm calling a foul on this one. Mungeti is clearly trying to enhance his status by claiming to be from Iowa' date=' when his ID says Omaha....... [/quote']

Maybe just a geographic challenge. Not everyone is in touch with "where they're at," after all. Maybe his inner Mungeti is in Iowa, while his outer self is in Omaha.

Ohmmmm ohmmmmmm ohmmmmmmmaha

(kinda a yoga meditation thing goin on, you know? Inner peace)...

Iowa Boy at Heart

I actually live in Council Bluffs Iowa, stated Omaha as most people have never heard of it... :eek: I thought I might add Omaha in case at some point someone wanted to take a look at the grill if they were thinking of making the purchase. I live on Lake Manawa in the Southwest part of the state and cannot wait to make others oogle from the aromas. :) Look forward to getting to know you all.

BTW: Undergrad and Grad degrees from the University of Iowa... Go Hawkeyes!!!!!!!!

Re: Iowa Boy at Heart

I actually live in Council Bluffs Iowa, stated Omaha as most people have never heard of it... :eek: I thought I might add Omaha in case at some point someone wanted to take a look at the grill if they were thinking of making the purchase. I live on Lake Manawa in the Southwest part of the state and cannot wait to make others oogle from the aromas. :) Look forward to getting to know you all.

BTW: Undergrad and Grad degrees from the University of Iowa... Go Hawkeyes!!!!!!!!

Okay, I guess I can forgive you..... just be careful. :P:P:smt064 I'm okay being the only Iowa KK owner if you don't want to join me.

If you change your mind on the gas accessory, I can set you up with a slightly used one.

Re: Iowa Boy at Heart

I'm okay being the only Iowa KK owner if you don't want to join me.

Doesn't Johnnyboy have a KK yet? Hmm.

Tim, your next purchase needs to be a cover from our own Johnnyboy. [email protected]. He does BEAUTIFUL work, in marine grade Sunbrella. Choice of colors, etc. Keeps the baby :binky: safe between cooks. :happy8:

Do a search in this forum on "Jammies," and you'll find effusive praise of his covers.

Excellent choice in tile color Tim, welcome to the family. I second the motion for a cover for your unit, even though with the new grout material Dennis may have actually made it obsolete, It still keeps the birdies off of it, and if you opt for any electronics(BBQ Guru) the cover protects it nicely.Even though I moved away 25 years ago I still count myself as an Iowan at heart, Go Hawkeyes!!

Welcome Tim. You think people don't know about Omaha.....NCAA College World Series.....Go Fresno State!

Wow you order a grill today and get delivery in a couple of days....great isn't it?...It is a beauty. Is it going to be a he or she and are you going to name it? In the couple of days you are waiting be sure to pick up some LUMP charcoal, and get the digital camera ready as we expect pictures here. What will your first cook be?

You have picked an excellent grill to learn charcoal and ceramic cooking. I started with a gas option on the POSK competitor's grill. After a few cooks, I pulled it and never used it again. Although Dennis products are better designed, I did not feel the need for the gas option when I ordered my Komodo from him which I have had almost a year. The chimney starter and/or a mapp gas torch available at most hardwares is what I use. The big weed torch works well but I don't like to bother with the larger propane tanks.

You will not be disappointed.

There's the bottom-up school of thought which says you need to learn how the KK operates manually before you should look at automation. Then there's the top down approach which says you should go fully automated to get things running and then manually tweak what you need to. Photography is the same way, some insist on an old fully manual film camera to learn things while others say a digital point and shoot lets you get the important things like composition without worrying about the minutia. I like gadgets so I'm pro-Guru.

Also look at the Stoker. In general the Guru is for Mac users and the Stoker is for Linux users (take THAT, DJ! :)) - Guru has a very professional image with well-supported software and pretty much just works. The Stoker is a little more "hand-made" looking and may require a bit more tweaking to get it set up, but I think the Ethernet port adds a lot of power to the solution and it just seems more fun to play with. This, of course, comes from someone who has neither so take it with a grain of your favorite sodium-based compound.

In general the Guru is for Mac users and the Stoker is for Linux users (take THAT' date=' DJ! :)) - Guru has a very professional image with well-supported software and pretty much just works. The Stoker is a little more "hand-made" looking and may require a bit more tweaking to get it set up, but I think the Ethernet port adds a lot of power to the solution and it just seems more fun to play with. [/quote']

In other words, how much of a tech weenie are you? Me? not at all. Deej? Gigundous. :wink:

I light my cooker with matches and fireplace starters. Deej rigged an automatic lighter, has his cooker web-enabled, and is welding new stainless steel parts, as needed.

I suspect you will fall somewhere in between. lol. Most do. ;)

Mungeti, Fetzer let you off the hook too easy .......

Welcome to the club Mungeti!!! You don't really know what you've done yet, but you're gonna like it I guarantee it!

And I hope you can take a bit of ribbin' and jokin' during collaborations here on the forum.

Because I don't know, but I'm pretty sure your classmates at Univ of Iowa will be dissapointed you selected Omaha over Iowa City!! May even be good bribe material, eehhh?

Welcome again. We're here to help each other; if any questions don't hesitate.

Go Hawkeyes!!!!!!!!

In general the Guru is for Mac users and the Stoker is for Linux users (take THAT' date=' DJ! :)) [/quote']

Guru for Mac users!!!!!!! Please!!!!!! :evil::twisted: Man, I am about to revoke your mod status and may even ban you from the forum!!!!! :mad: Of course, being Dennis is a Mac user, he would probably just let you back in ...hehehehe. :roll:

Mungeti, I have a Guru Procom and a Guru DigiQII. Both very nice controllers and either one will do you a good job. I am sure the Stoker is also probably a nice controller, but they lost me with that huge, ugly box it is in and no easy mount.

As far as when to get a controller....doesn't matter. I only use the controller on long, low and slow cooks. For shorter low/slow cooks or higher temps, I usually control it manually. So following that advice, you would learn both methods anyway.

Just remember, with a forced air controller, always shut your bottom damper and barely crack your top. You want the controller fan to do the work and not have any natural convection airflow.

-=Jasen=-