Johnny

Hi from Oz

Hi Guys,

Noob here. My name is John, and I live in Melbourne, Australia.

I am hoping to get my new Komodo in a few days. Can't wait to start using it. So I will be asking for advise and suggestions soon.

I am a meat and potato type guy. Love my beef. I also want ot try some pizza and calzones in the Komoda......and some slow cooks.

I am fortunate to have the equipment for sous vide cooking and vacuum packing (my day job).

Chat soon

John

The circulator is a must (IMHO) for short cook times. For short cook times I use a Polyscience unit. For long cooks (12+ hours) I use a water bath with no circulator.

The problem with the circulator on long cooks, is that I can hear the motor humming during the night and it keeps me awake.

As for the vac packer, because I sell and service them (my day job), I always have a commercial machine at home.

Good thing I have a photgraphic memory. ;-)

You will have to get inside my head to see the images........be careful though, you might not like what else you see........or maybe you will.

This is the first time I have used a charcoal BBQ. Lighting it was ok. I was trying to get the temp up high to sear the steaks. I got it up to 600℉, but couldn't get it past there.

I have some practicing to do.

I am the only one in the famiy that likes medium rare meat. The wife and daughters will only eat meat if it is dead (well done).  All the meat was cooked the way we like it.

So, it was a success.

The KK will rocket temps offscale on your thermometer. Just have to have a lot of charcoal in the basket and both the bottom and top vents wide open! For the bottom vent, pull the cover out a couple of inches and don't use the dial - too small. Here's a pic of my first super high temp steak on the KK.

post-975-0-31023800-1391642932_thumb.jpg

For high temps it is best to use the either the front or rear door, do not pull,  rather jiggle it door open especially when it's hot as it can jam.

The tubes are set to put tension on the draft door rods. this tension is what makes an airtight seal when the door is full closed.

Both front and rear doors have this adjustment. 

And of course the top open 4-6 turns....

Also watch the temp carefully because you can get to 800+ degrees really fast which will peg your thermometer and mess with the calibration. Plus when the dome is at 800, the firebox is way over 1000..... 

HTH

So I have sous vide equipment in addition to my KK cooker. A marriage that works well: If I"m already using the KK to bake bread, crank it up afterwards. Meanwhile, have steak in the sous vide bath at 134 F or 136 F (to taste) for an hour or more. This really helps challenging but flavorful cuts like flank steak. Now briefly risk incineration in the KK at a high temp to sear, for perfect quick steak dinner.

Another marriage that works well: It was actually Laurie's idea to spend the money on the KK. She saw how we loved our first crude approximation. No convincing needed either way.

Second cook tonight. I'll try and take some pics.

Going for a beef calzone tonight.

Got some tri-tip in the sous vide at the moment. The plan is to thinly slice it and use it in the calzone, along with cheese, green and red peppers, onions and garlic........maybe some tomato too.

OK, dinner is over. This was my first attempt at calzones....ever.

Really pleased with the outcome.......could have spiced the meat a bit more, but other than that, it was great.

IMG_1141_zps70bf480d.jpg

Cooked up some yellow and red capsicum, onion and garlic in the pan.

IMG_1142_zpsdca8f663.jpg

Then I put down some cheese first, then the sous vide cooked tri-tip beef with the vegies and cheese on top.

IMG_1143_zps5d916a57.jpg

Closed them up, and put some egg and salt and pepper on top.

IMG_1144_zpsa04b4bfd.jpg

Then cooked it.

IMG_1146_zps2b34cf87.jpg

Johnny,

Great pics thank you I really appreciate them.. One BIG favor it's called the money shot.. It's the one that shows the food was cooked 

on your KK.. Other wise for social media.. It did not happen.  

So please get a shot that shows enough of the grill to make it obvious it's on a Komodo Kamado..  

Thanks in advance ;-)