Hector

Pizza on the Komodo

Tonight I just cooked up 2 Pizza's on the Komodo.

e8a5u2u9.jpg

The first was Mozzarella, Jamon, Fresh Pineapple and Balsamic Glaze

typyja2u.jpg

The second was Mozzarella, Blue Cheese, Pear and Jamon.

These were our first Pizza's, both were fantastic. Next time I'll make them a little smaller but overall very impressed.

Hector

• Like 1

We love making the pizzas but still struggle with them sticking to the pizza peel when we try to get them onto the stone. So bad we have started to use some pre made crusts which I know is a total rookie move. Any hints? Tin foil causes the crust to be soggy. Pizzas are turning out just fine but cannot transport them from the peel to the stone....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#1:  Try for less moisture in the dough; its a very fine line between too moist and too dry.  Assuming you've got the below under control this is the #1 reason pizzas stick to peels! 

#2:  I rub bench flour onto/into my wood peel and then tap off the excess; any more flour and the burnt excess flour that adheres to the bottom of the crust will have a very bitter impart to the baked pie crust; ditto for semolina

#3:  Make sure you're, while stretching, not inadvertently getting small hole(s) in the dough where toppings can leak through...this will guarantee stick to the peel syndrome

#4:  Once the dough is stretched its vital to get your ingredients on as quickly as possible and get it slid off the peel onto the hot stone.  If you delay you raise the risk of having moisture develop between the pie dough and the peel...

And when I snap the pizzas from the peel to the stone I also elevate the handle side of the peel so you have a bit of ramp effect...this helps with pizzas containing more ingredients so not to shake the toppings off the pizza when moving it from peel to stone.

And if all else fails then build the pizza pie on a pizza baking screen (not solid but well vented "screen" style) and then when the bottom of the crust is baked about 1/2 way...or dry enough to move...use your peel to move the pizza from the baking screen to the stone to finish.

Dstr8 gave you the big culprits above.  While a dribble or leak of sauce is an obvious condition that will cause you problems, leaving the pie on the peel any longer than necessary will definitely lead to a sticky situation.  The longer it stays on there, the higher the chance of it sticking.

From my much younger days working in pizza restaurants, one additional trick to help get the pie moving off the peel - When you are ready to slide the pie off the peel and onto the stone, lift one edge of the crust, and blow a sharp puff of air under the crust.  Sort of like blowing out a candle.  This will do two things for you; the crust will float on that air bubble, and slide easier onto the stone, sort of like a hovercraft.  I hate losing toppings because I had to jiggle too hard to get the pizza moving, and the air trick mostly eliminates this.  The puff of air will also help you identify if you have any sticking issues before you even open the grill.

• Like 1

I second Dennis' advice for using the sear grate atop the upper grate to elevate the pizza bake into the dome.  I started doing this a month ago or so and it really makes a difference, with out bottom heat source, evening out the crust and topping cook timing.

Two tips!

1). "Par bake" the crust for a minute or two to give it some rigidity. Then put on your ingredients and cook it.

2). In your pic I can see the ceramic heat deflector. Do not use that! You want direct heat hitting your pizza stone - on the main grill like Dennis says.

I also have found 600 degrees to be the perfect temp. Good luck!

^ Ok...just a 180 on the heat deflector.   For shorter heat soak sessions on the KK I can see the advantage of not using the ceramic heat deflector.  But for my Neapolitan bakes where I want the KK at 700-800*F (dome) I've been using the ceramic heat deflector for additional heat ballast and its working perfectly.   This also diverts heat away from the pizza stone and more into the dome...and thus better mimic-ing a pizza oven for Neapolitan style bakes.  Mimic being the key word...as iits still a bottom heat source :)

Another trick that's just simple, use parchment paper. Pizza (and bread) just slide right off the peel and you don't compromise the crust that much. And, you can always wait a few minutes, slide the peel back under and pull the paper out from under the pizza. It should have enough body by this point to slide off the peel without the paper.

I actually use the heat deflector when I do pizza, but higher up, not on the basket handles as normal. When doing pizza, I use the upper grate (inverted sear grate) to get the reflected radiant heat and get a good browning on top of the pie, and put the heat deflector on the lower grate, as some insulation to keep the underside form charring too quickly. I have found this a good compromise, as it allows more free airflow through and around the basket, and allows more free convection through the grill rather than straight up the sides, like it would be with the deflector on the basket, while still providing a little buffer.

So I decided to have another go at the pizza's :-)

The first one was Buffalo Mozzarella, Jamon, Figs, Caramelized Balsamic and Rocket

re8azy3y.jpg

yrasy4az.jpg

ve5eba3u.jpg

The second was normal Mozzarella, Fennel and Garlic Salami, Blue Cheese, Figs and Balsamic. I also tried the Mad Hunky Pizza Shake and it was fantastic, very different flavors :-)

sy7uje7u.jpg

a8u8esym.jpg

The second caught a little but both were fantastic. both were cooked at 600-650f. I must admit I'm getting quite good at this :-)

Hector.

• Like 1

I actually use the heat deflector when I do pizza, but higher up, not on the basket handles as normal. When doing pizza, I use the upper grate (inverted sear grate) to get the reflected radiant heat and get a good browning on top of the pie, and put the heat deflector on the lower grate, as some insulation to keep the underside form charring too quickly. I have found this a good compromise, as it allows more free airflow through and around the basket, and allows more free convection through the grill rather than straight up the sides, like it would be with the deflector on the basket, while still providing a little buffer.

Same story here...ceramic heat deflector positioned in the middle (on the smaller of the two regular grates) of the KK...this by far has produced the best temp management for me.  But I do start coals/heat soak process a 1-2 hours in advance of my pizza baking sessions and then about 1/2 hour before I throw the pizzas on I load the coal basket with medium to large lump hardwood to push the KK to 700-800*F.   

Hector:  Looks like you have plenty of heat ;)

<snip> When you are ready to slide the pie off the peel and onto the stone, lift one edge of the crust, and blow a sharp puff of air under the crust.  Sort of like blowing out a candle.

Firemonkey:  Although I don't always use your tip, blowing under the pizza crust to help it slide off the peel, there is no substitute for when its needed!   I really like this tip...used it tonight and it helped keep the toppings atop the dough as I was flipping it onto the hot stone!  Thanks!

And I switched up on where the heat deflector is located when doing high temp Neapolitan pizza bakes on the KK:  I now put my pizza stone directly atop the ceramic heat deflector and like how it performs mobetta!  

So...what works for me:  Largest grate; then the reversible grate on top of that (positioned in the "highest" position); then the heat deflector then my pizza stone (16" x 3/4") atop the reversible grate...lov'n life in the dome :D