Jon B.

Teak Side Table Preservative Experiment

During one of my first cooks a small hunk of meat landed on my side table, leaving a stain on the beautiful finish of the teak.  i cleaned it off and then started thinking about what I could do the preserve the finish.

Thought about using a marine teak product like tung oil but worried about food compatibility.  Then I remembered that Red Head Sue got me a tube of "Boos Block Board Cream".

post-2550-0-31973500-1450961418_thumb.jp

Basically bees wax.......why not give it a try???

Applied it and let it sit overnight.  Wiped it off and I have to say it looks every nice.  Dropped a few drops of water on the table and it beaded up perfectly.  Did not go into the wood.    We will report back on how it holds up and preforms over time.

post-2550-0-15317000-1450961631_thumb.jp   

We have Tung oil on our walnut dining room table but you have to make sure to read the label and see if there unwanted additives in the brand. One time we had guests and a cold drink was set right on the table. It was left there as it sweated and it did leave that ugly whitish ring, which was visible for a long time. :(

It would have not left the ring had the glass not been allowed to sit there. I'm afraid I didn't notice until it was too late.

Beeswax is a great food-safe finish. The only problem is that it will wear off after a while, so you’ll have to reapply it at some point. But it should work great.

As far as tung oil goes, the problem with how finishes are regulated is it’s entirely possible to describe a finishing product as “tung oil†when it has no tung oil in it at all. In addition, you can do things like label a finish as “Danish oil†and have it really be a varnish thinned with a solvent, without any oil.

Either way, once the finish has cured, it should be relatively safe for BBQ purposes as far as not contaminating your food. I wouldn’t use the table as a chopping board, but it would be fine to hold plates and trays.