Keith B

First Pizza on Obsession.

:smt023:smt023
I'm a big fan of Willett rye. Small distillery near Bardstown, KY. They are on the Craft Bourbon Trail. Local boys, Cedar Ridge, turn out a nice one, too. Big fans of their single malts, as well. 

I have had the Willett rye and liked it. We like to try anything that we haven't had before. We love the Whistle Pig rye and the Whistle Pig bourbon. One of our go to bourbons is Basil Hayden. We also like Angels Envy. We have had Pappy 23, 15 and 12 but too many "special occasion" took care of them. Here in VA they are very hard to get. In all honesty, I would pay more for the Sazerac 18 yr rye over any of the Pappy's.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I've had many on your list - Angel's Envy is on my bar right now. As far as Pappy goes, only had the younger versions, never any 23 yo. If you liked the wheat based bourbons, seek out WJ Weller - it's "Pappy Jr." Same mash bill and made by Buffalo Trace, and here's the kicker - both the 10 and 12 yo versions sell for under $35. But, it's just about as hard to get as Pappy. Flies off the shelf as soon as they release it, typically quarterly. I just happened to be in Binny's in Naperville in February and some had just come in that day. So, I lucked into a bottle. Went back the next, as they had a 1 bottle limit, and it was already gone! 

I've had many on your list - Angel's Envy is on my bar right now. As far as Pappy goes, only had the younger versions, never any 23 yo. If you liked the wheat based bourbons, seek out WJ Weller - it's "Pappy Jr." Same mash bill and made by Buffalo Trace, and here's the kicker - both the 10 and 12 yo versions sell for under $35. But, it's just about as hard to get as Pappy. Flies off the shelf as soon as they release it, typically quarterly. I just happened to be in Binny's in Naperville in February and some had just come in that day. So, I lucked into a bottle. Went back the next, as they had a 1 bottle limit, and it was already gone! 

I have had the W. L. Weller special reserve and the Old Weller Antique. I have not been able to get the 12 year. I really like the Weller bourbons. It definitely sounds like you have good taste!!

When my wife and I were in Cancun last month we bought this bottle of tequila that was barrel aged for 8 years. It sips like a fine bourbon. Delicious! The bottle is really cool too! 3c47162a339a27ba0705b45c78c3e3fb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the nice words, Keith. Many of my friends think that I'm a snob, because of all my opinions about foods and beverages. And yes, I've dabbled in high end tequilas, too. And Caribbean rums (seek out 5 star Barbancourt from Haiti, just like drinking brandy!) Just started to explore Mezcals. I like their smoky character - very different from tequila. 

17 hours ago, tony b said:

Thanks for the nice words, Keith. Many of my friends think that I'm a snob, because of all my opinions about foods and beverages. And yes, I've dabbled in high end tequilas, too. And Caribbean rums (seek out 5 star Barbancourt from Haiti, just like drinking brandy!) Just started to explore Mezcals. I like their smoky character - very different from tequila. 

Tony,

I just checked at my local liquor store and they had the Barbancourt so I picked up a bottle.  I will let you know what I think of it.  Thanks for the recommendation.

3 hours ago, ckreef said:

Late to this party but great looking pizza. I too have been know to trash the kitchen out a time or three when making pizza.  

Charles,

I have seen a number of your pizza cooks.  I have been buying my pizza dough at Trader Joe's because it is so convenient.  It is cheap too.  I do want to try your King Arthur no knead dough.  That looks really easy.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Tony,

I just checked at my local liquor store and they had the Barbancourt so I picked up a bottle.  I will let you know what I think of it.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Sometimes I can't find the 5-star and have to "settle" for the 3-star, which is still pretty good, just not as smooth. 

43 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Charles,

I have seen a number of your pizza cooks.  I have been buying my pizza dough at Trader Joe's because it is so convenient.  It is cheap too.  I do want to try your King Arthur no knead dough.  That looks really easy.

Where I live there is no convenient place to buy good dough balls. Forced me to make my own. Not hard but does require some pre-planning depending on the recipe. 

I've not run into that label before, but it has all the right earmarks - 5 stars, 8 yo, Reserve Speciale. Mine looks like this. Maybe they have just changed label designs is all??
0689768873318-2T.jpg
My guess is that it's the same. 

Actually, they had that bottle as well. I asked the store clerk about the two different labels and he said they are the same. Apparently the just changed the label. They were both behind the same price label.

My wife and I are enjoying some right now. It has that rum sweetness for sure. It reminds me a little of the Bacardi Anejo. It is a nice sipper. Good change from the bourbons and the ryes.