rbv

Wiki?

Wow, there's a ton of great information here in the Forum. And, best of all, it's presented clearly, with lots of evidence to back it up, in a non-confrontational manner. Unfortunately, it's often scattered across various threads, the various sub-Forums, and spread out over almost countless entries. I've seen various mention of developing the FAQs, or a manual, but needless to say, there's probably not much interest in any one person sitting and trying to actually compile everything into one neat package. However, I'm wondering if there's interest and/or potential to develop a wiki approach. That is, everyone contributing to a given authoritative entry, with the ability to edit/amend the entry. Certainly it would require further development of the idea, the process, and the website; but, I'd likely be more interested to sit down and sort through all of the various entries on a given topic and compile a wiki entry that could be added to in an organized fashion. Just throwing the idea out there to see what the elders think. I just know that I've read countless posts on a given topic, but, now can't recall which/where/specifics...just random bits and pieces. Not to mention how current some of the thinking is...is the info in older posts still up to date, or has the subject changed dramatically?

TNW I did a quick search on google for free wiki and there looks to be free wikis just like the free blogs. Then there is this form of DYI free wiki that I have. http://wine.techlab.info/wiki I installed Apache 2.0, PHP 4.3.9, and MySQL on another computer that is connected to the internet by DSL 24/7. I had to learn how some things were done but that is what I really wanted to do anyway.

Here is another part to the yes answer. You can also run a wiki with LAMP, MAMP, and WAMP. The first letter of those three words stands for the operating system the rest is Apache, PHP, and MySQL. MAMP on my Mac runs just like an application you can open and quit it just like any other applications.

MAMP installs a local server environment in a matter of seconds on your Mac OS X computer, be it PowerBook or iMac. Like similar packages from the Windows- and Linux-world, MAMP comes free of charge

These kind of packages are for people to do development work and not for serving the websites to the world. I use MAMP to server a BLOG for myself that I use as a journal. You can do the same for a wiki if that is what you were looking for.