tekobo

Dry Aging at Home

Here are my dry aging learnings over the last 12 months.
Firstly David, yes, 300kg of beef is copious. Mostly shared amongst friends, some cuts frozen, and plenty of large prime cuts went into the dry ager.
I do love the meat out of the dry ager, nuttier, more tender, deeper umami flavour.
However, the outside edge of the meat and does need to be trimmed if aged for longer than 1 month. For prime cuts like eye fillets, this can create too much waste.( the dog doesn’t think so).
The solution I’ve found is to dry age in the fridge for about 2-4 weeks, then vac seal, or coat in tallow for about 3- 6 months.
c425a000ca131d0c30f8e3aaa038c495.jpg
This eye fillet was dry aged for 5 weeks then vac sealed after being coated with truffle infused olive oil for about 5 months in the fridge.
3d1189f68fc9d4d9e2a280bdbbc98355.jpg
This is starting the tallow coating after dry aging a whole rump for 2 weeks.
11e8ac1120cdde121bf1cfa9acd402b2.jpg
This rump can now live in the dry ager for another 6- 12 months. Unlikely it will last this long as I plan to slice steaks off it when required and I have some spare tallow to patch it up after slicing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firstly David, yes, 300kg of beef is copious. Mostly shared amongst friends, some cuts frozen, and plenty of large prime cuts went into the dry ager.
I do love the meat out of the dry ager, nuttier, more tender, deeper umami flavour.
However, the outside edge of the meat and does need to be trimmed if aged for longer than 1 month. For prime cuts like eye fillets, this can create too much waste.( the dog doesn’t think so).
The solution I’ve found is to dry age in the fridge for about 2-4 weeks, then vac seal, or coat in tallow for about 3- 6 months.
This eye fillet was dry aged for 5 weeks then vac sealed after being coated with truffle infused olive oil for about 5 months in the fridge.
This rump can now live in the dry ager for another 6- 12 months. Unlikely it will last this long as I plan to slice steaks off it when required and I have some spare tallow to patch it up after slicing.

• Like 2

So glad you are enjoying your dry ager @Basher.  A lot of meat at once is difficult to process.  The restaurant I visited in Wales who dry age for a long time use tallow and also vac pack some of the longer aged items and also wrapped smaller items in butcher paper and then vac'd them to stop them drying out.  I wasn't sure how/whether you were genuinely ageing something if it was in a bag so it would be good to learn from your experience.  

I've never tallow aged pork either.  Interested to see how it comes out.  I buy my pork from a farmer who hangs his pork for 55 days.  It tastes gorgeous so I imagine your dry aging should produce a good result.  What breed of pig is it, do you know?  

On 4/1/2024 at 3:20 AM, tekobo said:

I've never tallow aged pork either.  Interested to see how it comes out.  I buy my pork from a farmer who hangs his pork for 55 days.  It tastes gorgeous so I imagine your dry aging should produce a good result.  What breed of pig is it, do you know?  

humm, i'm not sure what breed it is but it's called bangelow sweet pork from australia. this is the only chilled pork rack of this size i can find. everything else is frozen or from china. so i decided to crack her open today. broke her down to skin, rib-eye, and bone rack. it basically tastes like dry aged pork with the taste of beef tallow. it's very good ..

.image.thumb.png.294678665fc4d35e000d9b72b3745c34.png

image.thumb.png.d92fc26f2ed2fadd90e440473ff417e3.png

image.thumb.png.940c34cf558b5ed5d681107d7b5b0330.png

image.thumb.png.6dc7ea95d486514517e4d3c2f9d06b29.png

image.thumb.png.f369479acf8ba14304c5e7ec73edfe2c.png

• Like 3