tekobo

Small ads: Don't have grill, will travel.

7 hours ago, Basher said:

Made me hungry and I’ve already eaten dinner

What a humongous piece of beef. Think I'd have to go down to the bank and make a withdrawal to buy a piece that large. Two guys from Denmark that are a pleasure to watch, and the eating adlib is a bonus. Yah, it's nice to have all the tools available just in case something comes along with a bit of a challenge. Thanks for the vid, it made me smile,..it also made me hungry.

• Like 1

Ooooh.  Thank you @Tyrus and @Basher!  Lots to try, starting with pork ribs for one tomorrow when The Husband has his weekly night out with friends.  I need to build my confidence/patience with lighting the Argentinian grill.  I am looking forward to the simplicity of grilling a rack over direct heat.  My Patagonian bbq book recommends 1hr 45 mins in total and nothing but salt and pepper.  I will try to build some layers of flavour with rub, spritz and sauce.  Don't have KKs yet but I do have another grill and I don't have to travel. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Who'd have thought it?  Newspaper was the key to my problem.  We don't normally have newspapers in the house but our house guest left a pile of Sunday papers when she left on Monday.  I scrunched some up and stuffed the paper under my loaded firestarter chimney. Went away for an hour and came back to nice, glowing coals.  Bingo! Slower than a KK but low effort. I used the amount of coal from the chimney with a little booster char half way through to cook the ribs slowly last night.  Tasty.

Here cooking in the last stages with some tira de asado, my preferred way of eating short ribs.  The author of my Patagonian bbq book would disapprove of the ribs - sauced AND with dark grill marks.  Will aspire to achieve the even golden colour that they recommend by holding the meat higher above the fire in future cooks.  

10423ED4-C22E-43C7-A68E-0D5B95DD72A6.thumb.jpeg.bc4a9843deb6d20bfdf5ff0cbebb88cd.jpeg

Looking good.  Didn't pass the bend test but you wouldn't expect that after two hours. 

4194479F-FDB3-41B2-9074-FE1374DDACB7_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.8a82e4c986d81157148c071f98b2ed0f.jpeg

CEF0396E-329E-4D0A-AEB0-7AD49FCE68C4_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.454bdec8f8c1cc4abd0f1c036633aacd.jpeg

Gratuitous picture of sunflower.  Happiness is knowing you have a half rack of ribs waiting for you for lunch.  

DEBCDC31-D7D2-441C-AEE6-D76DBCB9DB4A.thumb.jpeg.98dde7912224007909376df589971a86.jpeg

• Like 4

Tekobo this is for you.

I have started watching a Netflix series called Chef’s Table BBQ

[/url]

It brilliant. The first episode is about tootsie at snow bbq and I particularly liked the second episode( I’m only up to the second episode) with a chef named Lennox Hastie. Lettuce Salads cooked over fire!

This is his Australian restaurant.

I’m now on a mission to learn more from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Basher said:

Tekobo this is for you.

I have started watching a Netflix series called Chef’s Table BBQ

You do not know how right you are @Basher.  The Husband and I love the Chef's Table series and we savour each episode.  He came into the kitchen the other day in a state of high excitement.  I guessed right that the exciting email he had received was to say that there was a new series of Chef's Table coming.  What I couldn't guess was the fact that it is about BBQ.  Much rejoicing. Will watch on return to the UK. Thank you for reminding me of the excitement to come.  

A couple of things for you.  Lennox Hastie has an interesting book called Finding Fire that you might want to get if you enjoyed the show.  There is also a programme on Netflix called Todo sobre el asado that is well worth watching, if only for the TV gold moment where a veteran griller is asked what he thinks of people who do not eat meat. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tyrus said:

Saw that Basher, that guy's amazing. Soon you'll have to make a pilgrimage and visit his restaurant, I do believe I would...that is IF I lived in Australia.

We have learned the hard way that pilgrimages don't always work.  We drove all the way to Slovenia to visit the Hisa Franko restaurant that was showcased on Netflix.  It was lovely to walk around their garden before dinner and the dinner itself was nice enough.  However, the Netflix show gets you behind the scenes and makes you think they are your friend.  In reality, the chef is not visible, sometimes is not even there and is definitely not waiting to cosy up to you to retell their life story.  Shucks.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, tekobo said:

We have learned the hard way that pilgrimages don't always work.

You never know until you get there.  And when you realize it may be a disappointment,  you don't stop, you continue on to your next adventure. Sorry that one didn't work out Tekebo, you got many more to come................ this guy in Australia looks worth the distance if only the world wasn't so large.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1