sovsroc

basket config

I type this with a stiff back and a big grin i have got the old girl Onyxia off the pallets and onto the ground now, i have never owned a grill like this and i am easily confused :)

The burn in, do i just leave in the charcoal basket on its own picture 1 or with the slider divider attached to it picture 2. (Assume full load of charcoal so no attachment attached to it.)

I have had a look and i cant see a definitive explanation of all the configurations for a 42. So far i see a basket with a attachment that allows you to slide dividers left and right with various inserts on top to shut off other sections so you only fill the centre of the basket. i thought it would be a 50/50 left right split so as i am unsure of everything  i thought best to ask.

If the slider config in pic 2 is removed i have seen a video then attaching 2 x upright legs to the basket with a clip on floor so you can then put stone diffuses on.

Last question for now, is pic 1 also referred to as a firebox (again i assume yes but best to ask)

Thanks all

Sovs

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

• Like 3

OK i think bottom inner concrete ring is the firebox and the basket is just that a charcoal basket that can be taken out after many cooks where as the concrete ring stays put

I will check first thing tomorrow to make sure it has not moved during transit.

If i am wrong please chip in thank you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sovsroc said:

The burn in, do i just leave in the charcoal basket on its own picture 1 or with the slider divider attached to it picture 2. (Assume full load of charcoal so no attachment attached to it.

I haven't owned a 42 but, for all other KKs I would expect to fill a basket full of charcoal to do the burn in.  With the sheer mass of the 42 I would go for a full basket as per picture 1.

For configs of the slider, I think there may be a video on Dennis' instagram feed from when he first introduced the slider.  Will take a look...

1 hour ago, sovsroc said:

OK i think bottom inner concrete ring is the firebox and the basket is just that a charcoal basket that can be taken out after many cooks where as the concrete ring stays put

Exactly right.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tekobo said:

I haven't owned a 42 but, for all other KKs I would expect to fill a basket full of charcoal to do the burn in.  With the sheer mass of the 42 I would go for a full basket as per picture 1.

For configs of the slider, I think there may be a video on Dennis' instagram feed from when he first introduced the slider.  Will take a look...

Exactly right.  

Thank you @tekobo

6 hours ago, sovsroc said:

I will check first thing tomorrow to make sure it has not moved during transit.

If i am wrong please chip in thank you.

I am pretty certain that I have read on the forum that one should never remove the firebox. It is what you are referring to as "the inner concrete ring". It holds the SS charcoal basket.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

I am pretty certain that I have read on the forum that one should never remove the firebox. It is what you are referring to as "the inner concrete ring". It holds the SS charcoal basket.

Yes @MacKenzie thats exactly what i needed to know i will check when its light here to see if it has moved during transit but i don't think it has,I certainty will not be removing it.

We took everything else out to lighten it for the ramp of death. Pictures to follow on the other thread.

• Like 1

Sovroc, when my KK first arrived one side was slightly out of position due to shipping. Aware of that caution I believe I consulted with Dennis and made the necessary adjustment so that the basket would have even support.  (23 KK 2 piece box)  Once your KK has a number of cooks and the drippings have settled in below any type of adjustment at this point is not recommended, they are considered locked in place at this point

• Like 1