BARDSLJR

Brisket cook- last night and today

A few reports and observations on last night's brisket cook, still going on now at 11 AM this morning. First, here's the prime Costco brisket as I took it out of the fridge yesterday to prepare it- approximately 14.5 pounds untrimmed. The second photo shows it trimmed and dusted with Maldon salt and coarse-ground pepper. It went on the 32" KK at 1 AM with the Guru set at 225*, I wanted it to cook a little more slowly than typical, because if I were actually trying to time it for dinner on Sunday at 6, working backwards, I would have started it at 4AM, and sorry, I am not getting up at 4AM to start a brisket. So....the third photo is brisket at 9AM, ready to come off and be wrapped. The Guru was reading the cook temp at 216- the KK's thermometer was showing it a bit higher, maybe 240. The Guru's meat probe was showing the brisket at about 175-180 at this point.  The last photo is the brisket, tightly wrapped, and ready to go back into the smoker. At this point I raised the Guru temp setting to 280*.

Here's the rub: it is now 11 AM and the brisket is nearly done- one probe, the Guru's-showing about 198* and some probing with my Thermapen, is showing low 190's in some other parts of the brisket. So what's going on? If I follow all the standard instructions- Franklin and the like- I should expect this brisket to take 12-14 hours and then I should rest it for 2 hours. It looks to be now like it will be done 12 and will need to come off. If this is the case, I should be getting up at 6AM to put a brisket on and serve it at 6PM (6 AM being acceptable, 4AM, not.)

What are your experiences? How long does it normally take you to cook a 14-15lb brisket? At what temps? When do you wrap?

BTW, this is a BEAUTIFUL brisket.

IMG_2079.jpeg

IMG_2081.jpeg

IMG_2086.jpeg

IMG_2089.jpeg

• Like 2

No worries. If you wrap it in foil, then inside a bath towel, and into a good insulated cooler, you can hold it for at least 4 hours (if not more). 

I've had similar experience with them (and butts) finishing faster than anticipated. I guess it has to do with the actual piece of meat being cooked. Each one is somewhat unique. I always plan to finish early and stash it in the cooler.

I'm like you - no "middle of the night" cooks for this kid! 

• Like 1

So here are the final two photos: this is the finished version of the brisket.....but five hours later. So you cannot let a brisket sit for 5 hours and reheat it and expect it to be as good as Franklin/Micklethwait/LA Barbecue (and 20 other great Austin-area brisket master), but I am getting closer. Back at 1 PM, when I SHOULD have been slicing it, it was probably a lot closer. SO NEXT TIME.....I am going to start the brisket at 6AM for a 6-7PM serving. It seems to be cooking in 11, not 13 or 14 hours. Anyone else have the same experience?

The flavor was good. Quite good. I am going to back off a little bit on the salt, but the pepper was pretty much perfect. It was a lot of fun, and the family loved it. And it is a LOT easier for me to get up at 6 than to stay up till 1AM.

IMG_2091.jpeg

IMG_2092.jpeg

• Like 9