Curly

Ribs

I know, I know, no pics...didn't happen. But I'll have to belive deep down in my tummy, that it really did.

But I hear people talking all the time on the ceramic forums about messin up ribs and I can't underdtand how to do it. Now I ain't no chef or nothing, nothing special, just rub em with something and stick em on the cooker for 5-6 hrs at about 250-275....that's it. The way they turn out leaves me really wondering why people foil their ribs too.

I did foil once, and they were very tasty, just way to mushy for my taste, and not any tastier.

And to be honest, I did ruin a batch of ribs once...of course it had to be a time when we had a friend over. I left them on and went somewhere for a good while and the temp got away from me. When I got home they were way over done. She insisted on eating them and bragged on them the whole time and how she wished her husband were here to try them cause he really loves ribs. But they were down right crispy...so I felt terrible. But it was on a competitor brand so I'll just blame it on that. Never had a bad rib on the KK. :shock:

Rib lessons

Ok, I need Rib Instruction.

Bought pork back ribs. I read you all talkin about removing the "flap" and saving it for beans or somesuch. What part is the "flap"?

These had one strip of meat running across the middle of the bones. And one whole part of the rack that was all meat, no bones. Which was "flap"?

And someone tell me the relative merit of pork back ribs and spare ribs? Why one versus the other?

:smt100

Re: Rib lessons

Ok, I need Rib Instruction.

Bought pork back ribs. I read you all talkin about removing the "flap" and saving it for beans or somesuch. What part is the "flap"?

These had one strip of meat running across the middle of the bones. And one whole part of the rack that was all meat, no bones. Which was "flap"?

And someone tell me the relative merit of pork back ribs and spare ribs? Why one versus the other?

:)

First off, pork spare ribs have way more meat on them than back ribs (baby backs). People buy the back ribs because they are more tender; well when you cook them 4-6 hours, they are all tender - hehe.

The flap is the nice lean piece that flaps across the inside of the rack.

Now I prepare mine (or purchase already trimmed this way) St. Louis style. You trim off the flap, trim the end with no bones and cut the entire rack consistent along the joint at the top of the rack (this gets rid of the bone running perpendicular to the rib bones). The idea is to make a consistent rack for the purpose of even cooking. The leftovers are great in a pot of beans or soup. Some butchers already offer ribs cut this way and will say St Louis cut or style on the package.

Also, another topic of debate with some people is the membrane running along the inside of the rack. I remove mine so smoke and season can penetrate. Some people leave it saying it helps retain moisture. Well, if the ribs are cooked proper then the moisture thing should not be an issue to begin with. So, make an incision over one of the end bones and get your finger or spoon down behind the membrane. You should be able to pull it all off at one time. Don't worry if there is a little left as it will not hurt anything, it just does not add anything either.

-=Jasen=-

No, No, No that's too much work...

So, make an incision over one of the end bones and get your finger or spoon down behind the membrane. You should be able to pull it all off at one time. Don't worry if there is a little left as it will not hurt anything, it just does not add anything either.

-=Jasen=-

I've posted this before big boy..

Paper towels, they magically give you grip to easily pull off the slippery membrane. Try it, you will laugh it's soo easy.

Tip from my lil' sister, a world class cook.

:wink::wink:

Re: No, No, No that's too much work...

So, make an incision over one of the end bones and get your finger or spoon down behind the membrane. You should be able to pull it all off at one time. Don't worry if there is a little left as it will not hurt anything, it just does not add anything either.

-=Jasen=-

I've posted this before big boy..

Paper towels, they magically give you grip to easily pull off the slippery membrane. Try it, you will laugh it's soo easy.

Tip from my lil' sister, a world class cook.

:wink::wink:

Yeah, the paper towel method is the only way. :D