David Chang

what is this thing i just baked?

It’s a little finicky on temp control. I bought it because I had an agg and every time I went to pizza temps I had to adjust the top as it would slide out of place. Then when I got the primo I was a little skittish to try pizza temps so I grabbed the pizza oven that my local backyard place had in stock that didn’t require me to build a base. I should have just bought the KK then cause I never use the pizza oven anymore lol

Edited by C6Bill

On 2/27/2022 at 1:46 AM, David Chang said:

i really want to get the same results using residual heat in the kk. seems like a waste to heat up a grill and just cook one thing and not finish or start off with a bread bake. 

I am the exact opposite to you on this subject David.  It seems a waste to me to heat up and heat soak a grill to the high temperatures for a bread cook and not finish off with a follow on cook but not the opposite way round.   Residual heat from most cooks won't be enough and you will be burning up more fuel to get up to and hold the temps required for bread.  All of that said, i can see from other threads that you are not new to the bread game and I am sure you will be teaching us some new tricks as you explore bread making with the KK.  

• Like 2

second try, another fail. this time i split the charcoal on the right. placed the loaf on the left. i got to my baking temp but still dropped 50 degrees after putting on ice and dough. so in a 40 min bake i discovered the same strange elephant foot type of rise and the charcoal side of the bread was completely scorched. the bottom was cooked ok. took an internal temp reading and it was around 210. i usually pull at 190. 

so even though i thought i was undercooking it, it was overcooking and burning. i didn't want to turn it thinking my temp would drop even more. this was over an hour of managing the fire. kind of it's exhausting and disappointing because its so easy on a normal oven.

image.thumb.png.f5104d804a2d2c78f2596e81b82d3c81.png

image.thumb.png.9b09522c6c43aea48402158274227242.png

image.thumb.png.658c2dd45fbc241ab9fd6575cfec3b41.pngimage.thumb.png.bc05977bc191879945c1e8b6ae05086c.png

crumb structure is decent.

shame it was burnt. i checked on the kk an hour later and its still keeping temp. i guess if i really want to do this again, i would just let the kk soak to temp for like 2 hours and shut all the vents and cook off retained heat, no flames. or i can just use my kitchen oven…

C3DBC2E1-35CB-4073-82D2-161B2B0608B6.jpeg

@David Chang, I agree, it is a lot easier baking bread reliably in your IDK oven., That said it is fun, chasing the perfect loaf.  I find that baking in a KK with steam does give a different crunch to the crust.  I have had the most success in my 32.  You do need to keep the fire live to keep the temp up. You do need some distance from the fire - something you may lack in a 19.  You do need to turn the loaf during the cook to avoid burning.  Using steam does seem to make the crust darken quicker so you need to be aware of that too.  I mostly bake bread in my IDK oven because I don’t have the time to light the fire and manage the bake as actively as you need to over fire.  I would use the KK for the fun of it and see how/whether your loaves improve over time but would put a loaf into your IDK oven as back up.

• Like 2

David, it still looks like 90% of that loaf was edible. I going to try baking break next week on mine. I won't divide the fire and just build it like I'm going to cook spareribs...except I'll start it at 400 and then let the fire slowly die down. I have no doubt I'll have some burnt offerings to the bread gods before I get it right. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

@David Chang, I agree, it is a lot easier baking bread reliably in your IDK oven., That said it is fun, chasing the perfect loaf.  I find that baking in a KK with steam does give a different crunch to the crust.  I have had the most success in my 32.  You do need to keep the fire live to keep the temp up. You do need some distance from the fire - something you may lack in a 19.  You do need to turn the loaf during the cook to avoid burning.  Using steam does seem to make the crust darken quicker so you need to be aware of that too.  I mostly bake bread in my IDK oven because I don’t have the time to light the fire and manage the bake as actively as you need to over fire.  I would use the KK for the fun of it and see how/whether your loaves improve over time but would put a loaf into your IDK oven as back up.

what is an IDK oven?

right now, the kk is not giving me the color, rise and shape i am accustomed to. i scored for a rabbit ear but it doesn't want to open up. it's expanding in places i don't expect expansion, like on the narrow side there's a split for no reason. and the ice cubes i throw in gives like maybe 2-3 minutes of steam and its gone..i think the burnt side can be adjusted for by lowering temp and turning midway. but the rest..i dunno...

even when i thought i was baking under temp, i wasn't expecting such a fierce heat from the right side. this was with the cheapo drip pan the kk came with and the thick baking stone as barriers. 

so maybe next time, i might try the replicate the environment of a dutch oven. heat soak the kk. drop the loaf and ice in. close off the vents so there is no open flame and let it steam and bake in retained heat. rotate the loaf and open the vents the second half of the bake. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Poochie said:

David, it still looks like 90% of that loaf was edible. I going to try baking break next week on mine. I won't divide the fire and just build it like I'm going to cook spareribs...except I'll start it at 400 and then let the fire slowly die down. I have no doubt I'll have some burnt offerings to the bread gods before I get it right. 

i think with a 32, you have more clearance away from the heat. if you are following a recipe, i wouldn't mind having a peek at it..

IDK = InDoor Kitchen = a place any self respecting KK’er regards with disdain except for when it is raining, cold, snowing or just plain convenient.

As for @C6Bill, I swear you just post those beautiful bread pictures to torment me.  One day my loaves will be as good as yours. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1