KK787

New Pulled Pork Technique - Tested - Game Changer - Video

Tried this new pulled pork technique with fantastic results.  Smokey, moist without being watery, incredible flavor throughout so much so putting sauce on it wasn’t necessary.  The video is below.

I used 250 ambient temp at the meat.  Once wrapped with Leaf Lard as per the video, increased temp to 300.  Just follow the instructions in the video for the best pulled pork you’ve ever tasted.

07AAB1C5-5F28-4F44-AFC1-1B26786DBD11.jpeg

D22CCAC1-C649-4E8C-919B-8D4937DE44A7.jpeg

7F1F2253-8C05-431A-AA76-ADAF80291A7F.jpeg

360AF6FD-D410-4225-B5C9-DA15843877F8.jpeg

80A807E0-3ABE-4AE9-B7C7-056D5BF4A63D.jpeg

• Like 2

I've done this method - sort of, on my pork butts. I don't chop mine up like that. Similar to beef brisket, I wrap the butt in pink butcher paper after the stall and slather with the leaf lard. He passed up a good opportunity here by not putting that pot of lard into his smoker to pick up extra smoky flavor. Pan on the left is the lard, the one on the right is beef tallow. I did this with the cold smoker attachment, no fire in the box. As you can see from the leaves, it was summertime, so warm enough to melt the fats without a fire.

272301286_smokedfats001.thumb.jpg.3794152d81a543abbb8820f47b6ceeb6.jpg

• Like 1

Great info Tony!  Will give that a try my next time around.  The interesting thing is you can render the leaf lard, smoke it, the return it to the original container for safe keeping.  That cold smoker is next on my list of things to buy.  How long do you smoke the lard/tallow for?  I will say this was the smokiest - in a good way - pulled pork I ever tasted.  And lots of bark - it was a really good balance. I dry brined with a good coating of salt and pepper and followed through the next morning with Meat Church VooDoo and Honey Hog on 3 pieces each - hence, two separate bowls.  

Yep, I put it back in the jar. It's in the fridge and it lasts a long time, as it doesn't take very much to slather a butt in the pink paper. It's been a while since I last did this, but I generally just go by smell & taste (you can also see the smoke "ring" developing around the outside of the pans.) I pull it off when I'm happy with the level of "smokiness." It's not super long, if I remember correctly, just an hour or so. A lot depends on how much smoke you're generating from the cold smoker - obviously. I usually keep the top damper almost closed, so that most of the smoke gets "trapped" in the KK.

Keep posting, as I'm curious how you fare.

Fat is flavor and definitely adds to your mix. I've always leaned towards the lean side for health conciousness, but would have always entertained a thought about a little bacon drippings added to the mix, just sayin. I've seen this man behind the video before, I believe he's Korean and living in Chicago, however I wouldn't want to say for certain without offending because he draws upon his family background for cooking and Asians are proud of their heritage and don't like being miss characterized. Now depending upon where you shop for pork butt without the bone this isn't too hard to find, I can actually find small cuts as those he prepared rather easily.  It does make sense to have more bark, an obvious after thought for the goal. The fat content isn't, so if it's a key like basting your brisket it makes more sense for richness and flavor enhancement. Put it this way, it'll definitely place a notch in your gun cooking repitoire, but it'll also add the notch onto your belt. I like it KK787, shoot for the moon, the stars will come later.