PaulR

Thermometers

Re: Thermometers

Does anyone have a thermapen...
I do. An excellent gadget! VERY fast measure. I use it inside and outside on the grill. In fact, my M bought a Thanksgiving turkey without a pop up timer by accident. Rather than panic, I stuck it with the thermapen and saved the day. It was MUCH more moist than waiting for the pop up.

I strongly recommend it.

More:

I use it on breads in the oven and on the cooker, and meats, and water to mix with yeast for breads, and anything else that requires a temp. Even to have in a room when I'm freezing and don't believe the thermostat on the heater!! Open up the pen thingy, and let it sit a sec, and it'll tell me that thermostat is right, and I'm out of my mind! Imagine that.

Re: Thermometers

... a Thanksgiving turkey without a pop up timer

Imagine the luck. :smt003

Yah, I was rather pleased. Didn't let on. I pulled the bird just a few degrees earlier than "cookbook expert" said to, and let it rest - knowing it would keep going for a bit. Yup. Bird perfection. :)

See what I learn on this board? :smt045

You could just buy me a ticket' date=' and I could bring all of these goodies down to you :D[/quote']

Not sure if they amount to that much!

I'ld rather go visit the states again myself and bring some goodies back!

But thanks for the offer!! :wink:

Thermopen

I have read on several forums that to rely on a Pop-Up on the Turkey is not reliable. The Thermopen I have use for over 4 years is just great. My son got one but over a year later it got lots of rain because he left it outside and

it would not work. I told him to contact Thermopen, they fixed it for $20 and now works perfect.

Re: Thermopen

I have read on several forums that to rely on a Pop-Up on the Turkey is not reliable. The Thermopen I have use for over 4 years is just great. My son got one but over a year later it got lots of rain because he left it outside and

it would not work. I told him to contact Thermopen, they fixed it for $20 and now works perfect.

I ordered one so should be on it's way!

Nice and Orange (I figured that would be easy to see...hard to lose :P )

Thanks for all the feedback!

Thermapen

For the new plug-mount Thermapen, they actually make a smokehouse attachment with stainless steel armour. Its 65$ but the whole thing can apparently withstand up to 660 degrees.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/the ... n_3_7.html

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I called thermoworks to ask them about it and they said the one thing to keep in mind is that any condensation inside the grill could damage the probe. I am assuming that as long as you don't use a waterpan, this would not be a problem? Also, does anyone agree with me that the 90 degree turn would make it impossible to insert this attachment through the polder access tube?

Trying to figure out which, if any, of these crazy attachments would be good to buy.

Thanks.

Yeah, same with the Guru probe, 90 degree, no problem. Depends on the length of the short section on that probe.

FYI, there is still plenty of condensation in ceramic grills (part of the beauty of them is holding in moisture), even without the use of a water pan. At least there is in Georgia; guess it may differ some depending on your relative humidity. But regardless, it should not be enough to mess with the probe by a long shot.

-=Jasen=-