Sanny

Memorial Day 2007 - whatchacookin?

:) It's that time of year! The start of the amateur cooking season.

Ok, we know all those with KKs have been cooking all year round, but most mortals go out and start burning pigs and cows this weekend.

Me? I have the sirloin tip that I rolled into rounds. Defrosting a couple of those, and will marinate them in mojo. Maybe do one pork chop, too, just to have handy. Can't have too many, after all.

Nothin big, though. Just me and Mom. I have some little potatoes I might roast along with.

Anyone else?

Well, we are sort of celebrating two days early, having over the couple that did our renovation. Guess what? It's Paella again! :lol: We are having gazpacho and mushroom garlic toast for tapas/starters, paella for the main course and an apple flan with carmelized sugar syrup and blackberries for dessert. At least, that's the plan. It's hot out there today. I hope the temperature comes down by 7 when I'll be doing the paella. It gets just a bit hot sauteeing over a hot KK!

Memorial Day Food and Thanks.

Hamburgers (gourmet with compound butter), dogs, ribs, and the best BBQ beans using pulled pork. The Maryland summer has arrived with highs nearing 90 -oh joy! To all who have served their country in times of peace and war, thank you for your dedication and commitment to freedom and democracy. Our hearts and prayers are with you always.

John

I just made the marinade for the steaks. Another Cooks Illustrated recipe. Soy, garlic, brown sugar, chives, pepper, olive oil. Some of that taken aside, and mixed with 2 tsp balsamic, to drizzle over top when they come off the grill.

I'll let you know how it goes.

i did a couple butts!! my first of the year, believe it or not. and, i'm almost tired of saying it, but they were the best yet! put them on at 300 and let the temp drop to 250. i think my temp gauge is no longer calibrated correctly (high temps, anybody?) and was probably closer to 275 rather than 250. anyhow, as much as this might break the bbq law, it finished faster, more tender, more moist (really weird), and with a deeper smoke ring! didn't even add wood; just cowboy lump! maybe they were just good butts, i dunno.

oh, and i do my butts fat DOWN. i know, sacralige for an old brisket burner like me, but i have my reasons!

Excellent, PC! Did you feed the cast of thousands with them? Or are they vac'd and stored for later?

The beeves I grilled were good. Marinade turned out fine. Also roasted potatoes, one monster sweet potato, a pork chop, and two chicken thighs. Those will grace my lunches for the rest of the week. Sups too!

Excellent' date=' PC! Did you feed the cast of thousands with them? Or are they vac'd and stored for later?[/quote']

welllll, not xactly a cast of thousands. 19 yr old son, 13 yr old son, and 9 yr old daughter... they will make short work of it this week, with my poor help. i have a sammich at LEAST once a day. low carb bun, low carb sauce, high protein pork!!!

i'm sure some tacos are in the future too. low carb tortillas for me! yowza!

OK PC - I'll bite

Your reasons for fat down? Do you score the fat layer?

I did 4 butts, 2 spatchcocked chickens and 3 racks of babybacks all on Saturday/Saturday Night.

I overcooked the ribs by staying at the neighborhood pool about 2 hours too long but everything else was wonderful and yes I have a freezer full of leftovers and gifts for the neighbors.

why?

1) it works.

2) i found that, when i used to do fat up, the lean (relatively speaking) side of the butt contacting the grill would get dry and hard, and inedible. so the bottom of the butt would tear a bit when i pulled it from the grill. to be clear, i do my butts indirect, but i don't use a water pan, just a dry drip pan. when i started doing my butts fat down, the butts came off the grill much easier, and left behind the fat cap that one normally has to remove from the butt before serving anyway. this preserves the grill-side meat very well. as a BONUS, that fat cap reduces down to a sort of bacon-y, crusty flap that, with care, can be removed from the grill, cut into strips, and served as garnish, to the joy of those lucky enough to enjoy a piece or 2.

3) being that butts have TONS of fat and connective tissues distributed throughout the roast, the idea that the fat cap must be up in order to melt during the cooking process and drip down over (or thru) the butt is not only fallacy, but unnecessary.

give it a shot if you like, but don't tell anybody. a true pitmaster will string you up for such a transgression!