Porkchop

Low Carb Red BBQ sauce

making this rite now, will let you know how it tastes after a few sammiches

1.5 c heinz low carb katsup

1 c apple cider vinegar

1 c brown sugar style Diabeti-Sweet (wally world diabetic section, all ISOMALT)

1/2 c sugar free maple syrup

1/2 c rooster sauce

2 T dijon mustard

1.5 T chili powder

1 T onion powder

0.5 T black pepper

0.5 T garlic powder

keep yer fingers crossed!

altho it could use a bit of heat! i love that siracha sauce on my chicken teriyaki. as far as the low carb sauce, pretty good stuff. not real subtle, not real anything. a good, basic, ketchup based bbq sauce. nice and sweet/tangy, but nothing to write home about either. a good starting point. i would add some cayenne and maybe some liquid smoke. but it defo gets the job done for them that are watching their blood sugar! if i could just get it to taste like "open pit", i'd be a very happy man! call me names if you must, but i've always loved "open pit" and all of its semi-fluorescent goodness since the beginning. raspberry chipotle has its place, but "open pit" is the BOMB!

open pit recipe?

Here's a recipe someone posted elsewhere, when someone asked for an "open pit" taste-a-like. I can't vouch for its (taste) authenticity. Hope it works for you. You'll probably have to adjust for the low-carb profile. Good luck, if you try it.

#

“Open Pit†BBQ Suace

1 bottle beer

1/2 c. vinegar

Juice of 4 lemons

1 tsp. salt

1 tbsp. sugar

1/2 c. tomato paste or ketchup

Hot sauce to taste

Cook slowly for 1/2 hour with tablespoon of butter.

Re: open pit recipe?

Here's a recipe someone posted elsewhere, when someone asked for an "open pit" taste-a-like. I can't vouch for its (taste) authenticity. Hope it works for you. You'll probably have to adjust for the low-carb profile. Good luck, if you try it.

#

“Open Pit†BBQ Suace

1 bottle beer

1/2 c. vinegar

Juice of 4 lemons

1 tsp. salt

1 tbsp. sugar

1/2 c. tomato paste or ketchup

Hot sauce to taste

Cook slowly for 1/2 hour with tablespoon of butter.

Cooking your meat direct and at a higher temp (I use 240-245 for this method) will help emulate open pit cooking.

-=Jasen=-

are you being funny, deej, or did you just miss the bus? :shock: not "open pit" like the style of cooking, but "Open Pit" BBQ sauce. the flourescent orangish 1950 style bbq sauce. none of those knock-off recipes come close.

it is definitely a guilty pleasure, like a love of pink ceramic bbq's, or, in the case of others that frequent this forum, one's own sister :shock: i'm not gonna mention any names...

are you being funny, deej, or did you just miss the bus? :shock: not "open pit" like the style of cooking, but "Open Pit" BBQ sauce. the flourescent orangish 1950 style bbq sauce. none of those knock-off recipes come close.

it is definitely a guilty pleasure, like a love of pink ceramic bbq's, or, in the case of others that frequent this forum, one's own sister :shock: i'm not gonna mention any names...

I am gonna have to plead the 5th here as it makes no sense to me to call a sauce open pit. Must be a non-southern thing.

-=Jasen=-

Re: Do I have to draw you a picture?

open-pit-orig-med.jpg man' date=' i could drink this stuff!!![/quote']

Ok, I'll bite! What makes this "open pit" sauce? Around here, open pit only means one thing, duh, BBQ cooked on an open pit! And sauce is just BBQ sauce. Is this sort of like Chinese food in China just being food? :shock: hehe

-=Jasen=-