EGGARY

Questions on Sous Vide

I have been watching Videos on YouTube on cooking Prime Rib by Sous Vide.  I haven't given it any thought about Sous Vide until now as I didn't see myself doing it as I have a KK and a Pellet Grill but after watching the Videos I have been thinking about it a lot.  On of my questions is, when a Prime Rib reaches the Internal Temperature and if it is left in for a longer time, does the meat get more tender ?  At what point would it get mushy from too long being in the Sous Vide ?  Nice thing is there isn't any Carryover cooking, right ?  Of coarse there would be a brief time in the oven to do a Reverse Sear.

I have seen where salt and pepper is put on the Prime Rib and put into the Refrigerator for 24 hours or longer.  Would Season Salt do the same thing ?  Lawry's puts Season Salt.

I look forward to any information.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, EGGARY said:

I have seen where salt and pepper is put on the Prime Rib and put into the Refrigerator for 24 hours or longer.  Would Season Salt do the same thing ?  Lawry's puts Season Salt.

Packaged seasoned salt should work, although it would be hard to determine how much of the mix is salt. Try searching "dry brining".

• Like 1

At what point would it get mushy from too long being in the Sous Vide ?  

It would not be a matter of minutes but rather hours, not sure how many though.

I nearly always do my boneless skinless chicken breasts via sous vide, do a light brine and add some seasoning. They are very tasty.

Edited by MacKenzie

It's how the French cheat to present the perfect steak or is there any cheating involved when striving for perfection.  My set up and it's been a while is to bring the water temp to 130, I prepare the fresh or dry herbs de provence along with a tabs of butter and a salted piece. It goes into the bath vacuum sealed and there it will sit for a period of time depending on thickness, I generally like thicker cuts so it will fall in the 2.5-3 hour range. Out of the bag and onto a hot sear, not long... and then finished with Maldon Sea Salt flakes. I think what it comes down to is the science, and that's trial and error at first but the result should be a 130 bath for a period of time. Plotting time against temp on a bell shaped curve leads you to think the apex of curve is best, any time past that point is when the meat will suffer from too long an exposure. So start with 1.5 piece and find a comfortable time, mush quality on a tender piece is always subjective.

@EGGARY i don't really believe in salt brining. i think it draws moisture out too quickly given the time. for prime rib. i like to make a full bodied "jus" to pair the meat with. otherwise, it's kind of like seasoning with salt on roast beef..

i've finished and held brisket for over 20+ hours, but it was in an anova oven on sous vide mode not a water bath. still tasted great after that long. but its a tougher cut than prime rib, so i'd stick with 10-12H @ 130 @Tyrus

Edited by David Chang
  • Like 1