hsyjya

ALUMINUM FOIL FOR GRILLS

Aluminum foil for grills refers to aluminum foil that is specifically designed and recommended for use on grills. It is a heavy-duty foil that is able to withstand the high temperatures and direct heat of grilling without tearing or melting.

Aluminum foil for grills is commonly used for various purposes, including:

1. Grilling and cooking: It can be used to wrap food items, such as vegetables, seafood, or delicate meats, to prevent them from falling through the grill grates. The foil helps retain moisture and flavors while protecting the food from direct heat.

2. Easy cleanup: Placing aluminum foil on the grill grates can make cleanup easier as it prevents food residue from sticking to the grates. After grilling, simply remove the foil and dispose of it.

3. Heat distribution: Aluminum foil can help distribute heat evenly across the grill surface, ensuring more consistent cooking results.

When using aluminum foil for grilling, it is important to follow safe grilling practices, such as avoiding direct contact between foil and open flames or excessive grease buildup on the foil to prevent flare-ups.

Please note that the translation provided is for reference and may require further review by a professional translator to ensure accuracy.

• Like 1

My 32 came with stone heat deflectors in half moon configurations.  
Still having trouble understanding why I would not use them and use foil instead?  For 2 zone or reverse sear cooking.  

I know Dennis doesn't use them and many of the others here don't either.

It seems that as long as we don't use both half's at once to block the indirect heat and push it back into the firebox we should be good.  And frankly I hate messing up that beautiful SS drip pan for this job. 

Appreciate any and all input 

Dennis

The primary reason many (most?) of us don't use the heat deflector stone(s) is that they just add to the heat-up time (and more charcoal burning) for not a very good reason. You're mainly just trying to shield the food from the direct infrared heat of the fire for indirect cooking, so just a simple sheet of AL foil will do that, and it catches the drips, so you won't have to mess up that SS pan. 

• Like 2

Thank you @tony b for the response.  It's just a BGE thing as I can't remember not using a deflector with it, which they call a plate-setter for some reason. 

And @remi no bot post here.  Just received my 32 and thrilled with all the configurations that it offers.  Indirect cooking "was" typically my main way of cooking before.  Now real 2 zone smoking is a real option without taking the grill apart.  All good....

6 hours ago, Dennis said:

Thank you @tony b for the response.  It's just a BGE thing as I can't remember not using a deflector with it, which they call a plate-setter for some reason. 

And @remi no bot post here.  Just received my 32 and thrilled with all the configurations that it offers.  Indirect cooking "was" typically my main way of cooking before.  Now real 2 zone smoking is a real option without taking the grill apart.  All good....

Hi Dennis- didn't mean your post, was referring to the original post from a new user with one message and suspicious language!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @remi just trying to understand the most current thinking for various configurations we have with KK.  Seems like for example most are now not using the charcoal splitter to create a cooler side during the process.  Just using foil as mentioned above or pan in-between main and lower grate. Then removing top grate/pan for sear.  I suppose the half moon warming grate above the pan or foil is also a way to just go from cool side to hot sear side without removing anything during the cook.  What’s your SOP?  TIA

Yep- if I'm wanting a reverse sear, I utilise the half moon grate and leave the splitter in for a 50:50 split (I have a 32BB). If I'm having a very long low and slow I use a full basket just in case, and use a drip tray under to make things indirect. If I'm using the Roti I'm taking the splitter out and arranging the coals in a line across the basket, leaving the front half of the basket empty. So in effect I'm rarely using foil as I'm either having a 50:50 split with a cool side, or cooking indirect with a drip tray under!

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 1:04 PM, C6Bill said:

I’ve never used the deflectors and probably never will. There just isn’t any real need to do so

@C6Bill when you use the splitter for 2 zone cooking, which side to you cook on, over coal with AL or on cool side with AL?