Don

Spare Ribs

Doing some ribs today and thought I would share my recipe.

First off I remove the membrain and trim St. Louis style.

For the spices I use a 1/8th cup measure:

granulated onion

granulated garlic

chili powder

ketchup spice

cumin

sweet paprika

salt

fresh cracked pepper

lemon powder 2 measures

lime powder 2 measures

brown sugar 3 measure

Mesquite Seasoning 1/2 measure

I put a these into a blender and mix to a fine powder. Rub both sides of the ribs liberally and let sit for about 1/2 hour then onto the "Q". I cook them at 225 on the Guru for about 4-5 hrs. I'll post pics later.

You may be asking about some of the spices I use, well I get them from

http://spicebarn.com/

Nice lookin' ribs, Don! Sorry the same cant be said for that au natural K you have there :P Have you given any thought to re-tiling it? FWIW, I have not heard of anybodys re-tile work falling off, only the factory job seems to do that.

Our own Majestik did a full re-tile and repair of a broken out damper area. He said that areas of tile he had previously repaired were still fully adhered with no signs of going anywhere.

I ask because about 1/3 of the tile on my #5 are loose. you can press on some of them and see them flex, and whole areas make the hollow tapping sound. The grout around the top of the base, below the bands have about 1/16 - 1/32 gap between the tile and body - it just a matter of time :mad:

I am contemplating stripping the whole thing and re-tiling it from scratch with some new tile. Only problem is, with a KK sitting next to it...its all of a sudden not as attractive as it once was - looks kinda home-made, or like something your kids bring home from art class :P It may just need to go away. :?

Yes I thought about it as well as stucco. I would rather tile but my wife is thinking more on the stucco. The #9 had that same hollow sound and on removal of the tiles I found cracks

Picture025.jpgPicture028.jpg

both on the bottom and dome. That is how the second came to be.

Yes boss!! (sjees you've become much more strict now that you have a buddy-moderator!).

Anyway the pics look great but also look like they've been basted? The recipe is for a dry rub right?? So did you use a baste (and if so which one) Inquisitive minds wanna know! :wink:

Yes I made a sauce with the extra rub by adding about a cup of water and a bit more sugar to taste reducing it down about 10 minutes over medium heat then adding about 2 T of corn starch. Put on ribs about ten minutes before removing from "K" or "KK". Thats the way my wife enjoys them. Always gets great reviews.

Yes I made a sauce with the extra rub by adding about a cup of water and a bit more sugar to taste reducing it down about 10 minutes over medium heat then adding about 2 T of corn starch. Put on ribs about ten minutes before removing from "K" or "KK". Thats the way my wife enjoys them. Always gets great reviews.

I haven't tried using the extra rub to make an accompanying sauce...sounds good I'll give that a go next time I make a big batch of rub :)

I haven't tried using the extra rub to make an accompanying sauce...sounds good I'll give that a go next time I make a big batch of rub :)
Dennis' Lexington vinegar sauce has extra rub in it, too. :) Kinda like matching the purse and shoes and belt. :wink: It's an outfit!

Dennis' Lexington vinegar sauce has extra rub in it' date=' too. :) Kinda like matching the purse and shoes and belt. :wink: It's an outfit![/quote']

Unfortunately we don't have that type down of vinegar sauce here (I really have to find a good US food importer there must be one somewhere in Sydney?)

Dennis' Lexington vinegar sauce has extra rub in it' date=' too. :) Kinda like matching the purse and shoes and belt. :wink: It's an outfit![/quote']

Unfortunately we don't have that type down of vinegar sauce here (I really have to find a good US food importer there must be one somewhere in Sydney?)

Why can't you make your own? Dennis has recipe here on the Boards. Search on "Lexington." It's rub, seasoning, and cider vinegar. Pretty simple stuff, really.

Why can't you make your own? Dennis has recipe here on the Boards. Search on "Lexington." It's rub' date=' seasoning, and cider vinegar. Pretty simple stuff, really.[/quote']

Oops my mistake, I didn't know that you could make it yourself, I thougt it was a brand (probably is as well; I'll shut up now). :?

I usually make my own sauces + rubs but haven't come across a "lexington" recipe yet?