Raspberry Chipotle Sauce

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 cup small diced onion (I used the whirly blade and made it very fine)

2 teaspoons minced garlic

2 teaspoons chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped

2 pints fresh raspberries, rinsed

1/2 cup raspberry vinegar ("black and raspberry" works well)

3/4 cup granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

(substitute 6-8 oz of raspberry preserves for the fresh raspberries and sugar, if you prefer)

In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft and slightly caramelized. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.

Add the chipotles and cook, stirring continuously, for 1 minute. Add the raspberries (or preserves) and cook until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the vinegar and stir to deglaze the pan. Add the sugar and salt, and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until thickened and reduced by half, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool before using.

For a clear glaze, strain through a fine mesh strainer, squishing to get most of the liquid out.

:cheer:

Mmmmm, sounds good! I bet this would be great on a pork tenderloin! Thanks for the recipe!

-=Jasen=-

It's yummy. Kinda like a gentle kiss of raspberry sweet, and just when yer gettin all dreamy, it thwaps you in the back of the head with the chilies. THWAP!! OW!

lol :wink:

Raspberry Chipotle sauce (ala Cef Juke)

I was tickled mightily to see that Sanny's original post was a ChipRaz I hadn't seen yet!

A new one to try!! :smt041

I looooooorves me some chipotle-razzzz :smt050

Here's my current fave version:

Chef Juke's Raspberry-Chipotle BBQ Sauce

NOTE: This is a slight variation on the classic Kansas City Barbecue

sauce from the KC Barbecue Association, for those who like their BBQ

Hot & Smoky!

6 Tbls. packed dark brown sugar

1/2 cup cider vinegar

1/4 cup molasses

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

2 Tbls dark rum

2 Tbls yellow mustard

1 Tbls pure chili powder(I'd say optional)

2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

2 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. ground allspice

1/4 tsp. ground cloves

1/4 cup Chipotles en Adobo

2 cups ketchup

2 cups Raspberry Preserves (I use Wall's Raspberry preserves from

Costco)

Kosher or sea salt(to taste)

In large saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire,

rum, mustard, chili powder, pepper, garlic powder,

allspice and cloves. Bring to simmer over medium heat. Cook,

uncovered, until all ingredients are dissolved, stirring constantly,

about 5 minutes. Stir in ketchup and bring to boil, stirring

constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Reduce heat slightly, add raspberry jam and 1/4 cup chipotles** and

gently simmer sauce, uncovered, until dark & thick, about 30 minutes,

stirring often. Use right away or transfer to jars, cover, cool to

room temperature and refrigerate. Sauce will keep several months.

Makes 5 cups or 20 servings.

**Add the chipotle peppers to taste.Since simmering will bring out

the heat in the peppers start by adding 1/4 cup of chipotles and cook

for the 30 minutes THEN taste again and add additional peppers if you

like it REALLY HOT.

I'll add that you need to whizz up the canned chipotles in a food processor and I go the extra mile and strain the seeds out of the puree.

Feel free to double the rum,allspice,garlic powder,mustard and molasses-I did.

Killer as a chicken and rib glaze for grilling and good to add to choppedor pulled for that somethin' different.

dub(never buying bottled again)

MMMMM good

Dub, I made your recipe, and man is it good!!! Got rave reviews from all tasters!!

I have kept it in the pot and keep dragging the pot out and keep warming it up as needed, it gets thicker and better tasting each time!!

The allspice is a key spice here too.. Just right..

I heeded your advicce doubling the ingredients you suggested... well,, a few tweaks :)

Thanks!!

I will try Sanny's when I get time too!

Re: MMMMM good

Glad you like!

My Buddy Juke said that he'd started this out with a KC style honey BBQ sauce and modified it. So tweaking is mandatory, IMO. I firmly believe all sauce recipes should be carved in rubber! :lol:

As an absolutely unrepentant overseasoner, I am glad to see that someone else also sees fit to up the dosage on the spices. :?

I,too, think the allspice does really nice things to the taste-one of my fave pork rubs is really allspice heavy(gotta remember to post that-note to self):book:

And I like the rum-molasses interplay. It's gotta be a Caramel Thang!

FWIW:for the rum,I used Tommy Bahama's golden sun (Barbados,I bleeve) (and it was a yummy tot,a pretty bottle and a free t-shirt,to boot) :occasion5:

Too many Q sauce recipes call for liquid smoke - the chipotles are a much better way to get smoke flavor.

dub(this sauce i last used as a schmear for cocktail-sausage-mini-pigs-in-a-blanket-crudite-horsdoover-thingies. dip weenies in sauce,roll in dough,bake)

Re: MMMMM good

I am with you on the over seasoning, most people (me included) are tired of bland, crappy food. The worst review I can give a restaurant, is to say that "it lacked any clear and definable flavor". Garlic is the same, if a recipe calls for 2 cloves, it likely will be much superior with 1 head!

Would love to try your favorite rub recipe!

I have kind of adapted mine over the years..

I completely agree with you on liquid smoke, it is kind of an acrid flavor at best..

Thanks again!!

Glad you like!

My Buddy Juke said that he'd started this out with a KC style honey BBQ sauce and modified it. So tweaking is mandatory, IMO. I firmly believe all sauce recipes should be carved in rubber! :lol:

As an absolutely unrepentant overseasoner, I am glad to see that someone else also sees fit to up the dosage on the spices. :?

I,too, think the allspice does really nice things to the taste-one of my fave pork rubs is really allspice heavy(gotta remember to post that-note to self):book:

And I like the rum-molasses interplay. It's gotta be a Caramel Thang!

FWIW:for the rum,I used Tommy Bahama's golden sun (Barbados,I bleeve) (and it was a yummy tot,a pretty bottle and a free t-shirt,to boot) :occasion5:

Too many Q sauce recipes call for liquid smoke - the chipotles are a much better way to get smoke flavor.

dub(this sauce i last used as a schmear for cocktail-sausage-mini-pigs-in-a-blanket-crudite-horsdoover-thingies. dip weenies in sauce,roll in dough,bake)

liquid smoke

speaking of liquid smoke (p-tooie!) dub, have you seen the AB episode where he makes his own "liquid smoke" by crudely distilling hickory smoke? this was for a jerky marinade. AB almost lost me there; i have great respect and defo a fan of his, but "homemade" liquid smoke (p-tooie!) has got to be just as heinous a fluid as storebought.

if fact, if he's gonna do that, why not just dry his jerky in the bbq pit like a real man! :twisted:

cherry smoked pork loin jerky???? awesome!!

Yeah, and I haven't bought a bottle since I discovered chipotle peppers! Grind the dried ones up or use the canned adobo version (as per above) and you'll get the smoke ya want and some fire too! :angryfire:

As a card carrying Fire Eater, I like some heat with my smoke!

That reminds me-I got a post to make.... :smt024

dub(barbecued peppers here I come)