U2PLT

ALERT!!!!

Ridiculous to pay a huge shipping bill for other charcoal when RO does a great job and I have never had to add to a cook either.

:rant:

exactly my point. i think that the extruded stuff is kind of a krutch... didnt have the stuff when i first started cooking, and, after a VERY few test runs, was able to keep a fire going all night very easily, without a guru, i might add. and i'm no genius; not bragging. N-E-BODY can do this. to be told how great it is for low-n-slows is called "creating a demand".

i mean, the ceramic cooker does SO MUCH for the pitmaster. shouldn't the pitmaster have to do/learn SOMETHING, rather than giving the credit for his/her good food to, of all things, some miracle charcoal? shouldnt we take the time to learn how to control drafts, use "spice wood", set our fires, etc.? so that, when we take our efforts to the table, it represents something that we've taken pains to learn to do?

any cook/chef needs to know how to assemble ingredients, use herbs and spices, create recipies, etc. what sets the PITMASTER apart from the kitchen or home chef? our skills with our pits. you don't just turn a knob, and the cooker goes to the temp on the knob. you have to know SOMETHING. the ceramic cooker, by virtue of construction, eliminates so much in the way of "babysitting". it is so stable and eliminates so much worry. be responsible for SOME of the artistry and science of BBQ without buying your way out of it with fancy charcoal and electronics.

i've cooked on steel pits, cheap pits, Weber kettles, and big gas fired restaurant BBQ cookers, along with my ceramics. i dont consider ceramics "cheating". they were around BEFORE steelies, so really, technologically speaking, they are a step BACK. MORE primative.

:rant:

sorry to rant, or if i've stepped on any toes, but this really is a philosophy close to my heart. i really do mean it when i say...

I used to cook GREAT (if I may say) brisket, pulled pork, ribs, etc on a weber smoker with kingsford charcoal. No Guru...just me controlling the fire.

I don't consider the coconut lump a crutch...I liked it because it provide heat only, no smoke or flavor of any kind. That allowed me to use whatever smoke wood I wanted to provide the flavor. If you use an Oak lump you will get Oak smoke/flavor added to your meat in addition to any smoke wood you put on the fire.

i guess my beef with it is more selfish than i'd like to admit. there are guys like you, like deej, whoever (forgive me if i've left someone out), who have already earned their chops, and are just looking for a tweak, or are interested in over-engineered gadgetry (yeah, YOU, deej!) in general, and that is their personal stamp on their pursuit of the Q.

BUT, there are those that haven't gotten to that point yet; noobs. and they are being given the option to "buy out" of the hard-won skills we've taken the time to develop and learn. they're being encouraged to skip those points by those of us more experienced Q'ists who continue to heap praise on these same gadgets.

rather, we should encourage them and teach them how to properly set their fire, NOT tell them they should buy the next new temp control/web interfaced/miracle charcoal/gadget and not bother with that learning jazz.

can i go over to a friends house, whip out HIS weber kettle, and prove my chops? yep. i dont need to pack up an armload of gear and my special box of charcoal to do it either. and, part of us being Q'ists, pitmasters, whatever, is to PASS ON what we know. not give someone directions to radio shack. you should not need an internet connection and a box of indonesian extrusion lump to do an overnight cook with confidence. if you already know how, and just LIKE using that, then fine. but if you don't, do yourself a favor and LEARN HOW. it's part of the journey. it's fun.

many of us here can help. just ask.

Well folks that price was for a 10 lb bag. One hell of a storm last night, spent the whole day hustling up a couple of generators, may not have power for a couple of days. cooked and gave away about 100 lbs of sausage( brats and Italian). Finally got everything put away in the walk in cooler and freezer. got about 2 hrs sleep. Nice cold beerrrr anddd zzzzzzz. :occasion5::beer::dumb::dead:

Good luck. Sorry about the storms, but I hope you and your family are safe. Meat products, not so much, I guess, what with power outage. Good you have a KK, so you can cook without electricity (between twisters, of course).

Yup, a lukewarm beer and a sleep, for sure. Rest well :*