ronnie_suburban

Hello all - new to forum

Hi there,

My friend and butcher-extraordinaire, who goes by the name of Primeats here, told me about this forum, which I joined the other day. I just wanted to say a quick hello to everyone.

I've had my KK for about 3 weeks now and I'm enjoying it very much. All told, I've got 7 cookers but none are quite like the KK, which has allowed me to easily do some types of cooking that were particularly difficult on my other cookers. So far, I've successfully turned out a whole brisket, some NC-style pork butts and even a large, boneless pot roast. The results have been outstanding. Needless to say, the heat retention that the KK provides makes it a unique and indispensible part of any outdoor cooking array. I'm already wondering how I got along so long without it. And let's face it, even when idle, they are simply beautiful to look at.

I mainly enjoy "craftsman-style" cooking like bbq-ing, smoking (cold and hot), charcuterie, pickling, canning and bread-baking. I also enjoy food photography quite a bit. FWIW, I also work in the food industry -- but in an area that doesn't really relate to what is normally discussed here. But the bottom line is that I am all about food and cooking -- both professionally and avocationally.

In any case, I just wanted to pop in and say hello. I look forward to tapping into the experience and expertise that this forum has to offer and -- hopefully -- making a few contributions, as well.

=R=

Vivid imagination...

I think Ronnie has a vivid imagination. I mean, he SAYS he did all that cookin, but has anyone seen pics of it on the forum? :roll:

Perhaps he's seen little green men with green hats and buckets of gold, or thinks he has the autograph of the Loch Ness Monster, too. Uh huh... ;)

Ok ok... Welcome, Ronnie! :happy8:

Remember, if there aren't pics, it didn't happen! :wink:

Are you Primeats friend who got the twin of his? We're all jealous. Oooh! :shock:

Hehe, welcome to the forum! As you can already tell, the standard forum rules are no pics, didn't happen. So we look forward to your sharing of experience, knowledge and most of all...pics!

I would love more of your experience with cold smoking and curing as that interests me greatly.

-=Jasen=-

Ronnie is the only customer who brings me samples of his triumphs be it cold smoked wild caught salmon,or the brisket he bbq'd last week. I would have posted photos myself, but he always shows up around lunchtime! We will all be happy he has joined this forum,as Ronnie has a great knowledge that I can only hope to learn from. As he has become inquisitive about different styles of charcuterie, it has only enriched my repertoire.

Re: Vivid imagination...

I think Ronnie has a vivid imagination. I mean, he SAYS he did all that cookin, but has anyone seen pics of it on the forum? :roll:

Perhaps he's seen little green men with green hats and buckets of gold, or thinks he has the autograph of the Loch Ness Monster, too. Uh huh... ;)

LOL!

Ok ok... Welcome, Ronnie! :happy8:

Remember, if there aren't pics, it didn't happen! :wink:

LOL!

I promise that going forward, I will document as much of my cooking as I can. In the interim, here are some links to/pics of some of my previous cooking projects:

Cold-smoked salmon from start to finish (with pics) (Click)

rib_done.jpg

Baby back ribs

stuffedcabbage-lowcarb.jpg

Stuffed cabbage rolls

pate.detail.smaller.jpg

Duck and cured ham pate

beefshank.ossobucco.smaller.jpg

Braised beef shank

DSCN4094b.jpg

Pastrami

DSCN2966b.jpg

Andouille sausage

DSCN2975b.jpg

Andouille sausage, interior

Are you Primeats friend who got the twin of his? We're all jealous. Oooh! :shock:

Yes, that's me. :)

=R=

Thanks, everyone, for the nice welcome.

Primeats, you are too kind. Whenever I make a meat item that people like, I always tell them the same thing: "Thank you. I have a great butcher." And seriously, you make me look really good . . . often.

I hope everyone here has access to the quality of products you have at your shop. That quality and your expert guidance make all the difference in the world. Since I found your shop, I've 'become' a much better cook. ;)8)

=R=

Well, then. We know there's food somewhere, even if not off the KK. I guess that's something. A start, anyway. :happy8:

Any recipes available for the "normal human could make it" stuff? (that would be the stuffed cabbage, braised beef, and perhaps the pate)

Not to imply that you're not normal. But ceramic cooker or no, this chicklet isn't likely to make a pastrami or sausage. More's the pity, of course. :(

Always wanted to make a pastrami... no no no. Not goin' there. :smt018 I do NOT need another project! (I already knit; spin yarn from wool, silk, cotton, flax, and angry bunny; and otherwise keep myself over stimulated.)

Well, then. We know there's food somewhere, even if not off the KK. I guess that's something. A start, anyway. :happy8:

Any recipes available for the "normal human could make it" stuff? (that would be the stuffed cabbage, braised beef, and perhaps the pate)

Not to imply that you're not normal. But ceramic cooker or no, this chicklet isn't likely to make a pastrami or sausage. More's the pity, of course. :(

Always wanted to make a pastrami... no no no. Not goin' there. :smt018 I do NOT need another project! (I already knit; spin yarn from wool, silk, cotton, flax, and angry bunny; and otherwise keep myself over stimulated.)

Actually, while I haven't used my KK to make a pastrami yet, I cannot wait to do so because the KK should make the task very easy. Pastrami, the way I learned to make it, is essentially hot-smoked at about 250 F until it reaches an internal temperature of about 150 F. Because temperature is so easy to control and maintain in the KK, it should be a relatively hassle-free process. The only other step, besides the cooking, is a 7-10-day soak in a wet cure. After that, the meat's basically ready for the cooker.

I really think you should try it. Maybe we could coordinate and a few of us could all start the project at the same time and report our results together.

=R=

Actually, while I haven't used my KK to make a pastrami yet, I cannot wait to do so because the KK should make the task very easy...

I really think you should try it. Maybe we could coordinate and a few of us could all start the project at the same time and report our results together.

=R=

Well, if we're going to have Pastrami School, I could be convinced. Every nice Italian gurl should be able to cure her own pastrami, don't you think? :wink: AND smoke it! :smt035

ronnie, saw a few of your posts on a forum that prime referenced here. neat! you say you are in the business of food, and just read your review of "kitchen confidential". you need to fess up and say what you do for a living! how did you come by meeting bourdain? as much as i'd like to meet and/or bbq for somebody like alton brown, i would be a bit intimidated by bourdain. while ive spent some time in the back of the house, never at an even 1-star restaurant... bbq joint, bakery, "german" restaurant...

anyhow, nice pics. what do you do for a living that has to do with food?

ronnie, saw a few of your posts on a forum that prime referenced here. neat! you say you are in the business of food, and just read your review of "kitchen confidential". you need to fess up and say what you do for a living! how did you come by meeting bourdain? as much as i'd like to meet and/or bbq for somebody like alton brown, i would be a bit intimidated by bourdain. while ive spent some time in the back of the house, never at an even 1-star restaurant... bbq joint, bakery, "german" restaurant...

anyhow, nice pics. what do you do for a living that has to do with food?

I work on the industrial side of the food world; supplying ingredients (mostly fruit-related) to manufacturers. I work with my brother and a bunch of our friends, so it's a nice gig.

As for Bourdain, I became an instant fan when I read his essay in the New Yorker back around 2000. That essay, as you may know, became the basis of the book Kitchen Confidential. A couple years later, in 2002, another Bourdain project came to the small screen. It was known at A Cook's Tour and was shown on Food Network (of all places). At the time, Food Network had message forums and a bunch of us fans began posting there and became friendly.

Unfortunately, the message forums at FN were run by the station's owner, Scripps Howard, and they were moderated rather aggressively. After a frustrating period in which many of us saw our posts deleted or edited, we decided to start our own Yahoo group -- basically an on-line Bourdain fan club (FWIW, the message forums at FN were eventually shuttered).

After not too long, Tony got wind of the Yahoo group and became a frequent visitor/contributor. During that time, many of us became friendly with him and when he did his first book tour back 2003, I attended a signing he did in the Chicago area. I'll never forget when I finally introduced myself to him. He immediately acknowledged me, and announced it to the whole room, going on about what a "class act" I was. I was stunned that he was so thrilled to meet me.

Via continued occasional correspondence and various subsequent book tours, we've stayed in touch. For a long time, I was a forum host/manager at eGullet.org, where Tony was also a contributor. I also happen to be friendly with a couple other food writers and chefs who are also tight with Tony, which solidified our connection a bit.

Now, nearly each time he comes to Chicago, we (and a few other long-time fans) get together for drinks, etc. after his official appearances are over. The first time we went out, he was still relatively unknown and more people recognized me than him (LOL!). The last time we went out, the moment we stepped into the bar, at least 15 people pointed at Tony and declared "I've got his next round." He's huge now and just about everyone -- even those not in the culinary world -- know who he is.

But Tony is a class act; a stand-up guy who has done a lot of really nice, good things in ways that the public would never know. He's also a guy with whom what you see is exactly what you get. He shoots straight and has a heart of gold. I'm proud and lucky to call him a friend.

=R=