Saucier

Here comes the rain

Well, having guests on the way for dinner this evening, and of course wanting to impress.. I got a couple of pork shoulders from costco. Not a bad price, but they pull the bones from them... Sheesh then you have to tie them!

So I get up at O-dark-early this morning am in the kitchen whipping up a new batch of rub, some coffee etc and ready to walk out and fire up the KK, but noooo000000, I open the door and it is pouring! So I had to rig an umbrella and load it all up in the torrential downpour. And of course as soon as I got it loaded and lit... The rain backed off!!

Well at least now that its at temp, I can look at the Guru and not have to go back out til tonight!

54087528cx5.th.jpg

He posted at 7AM his local time...That means they went on at probably 6AM. Those boneless butts should have no problem being done for dinner. If not, then they have longer to enjoy their cocktails and marvel at the new cooker. :o

(Butts are forgiving enough to cheat the temp up to 275 or so if it looks like its not going to make it)

Right on it

You are right on it FM, on at 0600, and I don't think there will be a problem.

Excellent point about more time for martini's too!

A nice frozen bottle of ZYR, pouring into a frozen martini glass misted with chilled vitamin V, and three skewered bleu cheese stuffed olives slowly, oh so very slowly drifting down trough the thick frozen vodka, nestling on against the bottom of the glass.......... Eva Cassidy crooning in the background.... A rainy night.... :smt057

Hmm, seems to be some different opinions here!

Seems to be some varying opinions here! I like it!!

I have never had butts take 20 hours, I am talking to pieces that are 7 - 8 lbs each on the lower rack @ 250 or so.. I take them to 190-5 internal, then pull them off and rest an hour before the pull.

They have been in 4.5 hours ant the temp is about 140 internal,and 240 pit.

I guess I could crank it up a bit, worse that can happen is to be done early and let er rest more!!

Curios

Just wondering, when you guys do these 20 hour cooks, how many times do you add more lump? Do you usually light it in another container and dump it in? Or just pull your stuff off, lift up the grill and dump more in and let it light? Do you do that as soon as you see the temp drop? Or do you have some pre-determined time you know it will generally be out??

Temp on lower rack wont be the same as where the KK gauge is located. Most people cook with the butts on the main and upper grills.

I did 2 bone in butts about 8 lbs each plus a bone in pork shoulder (about 11 lbs) for Turkey day. My temp averaged 240 and the butts were done in about 11 hours, the shoulder took 12. I bumped the temp a bit the last hour on the shoulder to be on time, however it had already gone through the plateau. Set-up was indirect.

Saucier....if you fill up the bottom with lump you shouldn't have to add lump to go 20-24 hours.

Re: Curios

Just wondering' date=' when you guys do these 20 hour cooks, how many times do you add more lump? ...[/quote']

Never. :)

Well, AFTER the cook, sure. So it's ready for next time. But never DURING a cook. At least not after the first time, when I didn't have enough in to begin with and the fire went out at 2 in the morning. Sigh. :(

I cook butts at 210°F... until they break through the plateau between 165-175°. Once they get about 175-180 we crank up the heat to 275° and push them to 195°F internal. Then wrap & hold in a cooler for about 2-3 hours. Not a lick of fat left, just pure tender meat that melts apart.

Whole process take 14-18 hours, but can go more. All that collagen and connecting tissue melts away between 165-175. The shoulder will hold at that temp (or even drop a degree or two) for 6-7 hours. The longer it stays between 165-175 the more collagen gets melted. That means more tender! If you cook too fast (hot) then the convection heat pushes the pork through the threshold too fast leaving globs of fat & connecting tissue still in there.

ppork.JPG

Hmm

Well, my true temp is AFU, so I go by the guru "clip"probe that I clip onto the exposed end of the product probe, so it is lower than the dome temp one.

I am using Royal Oak lump, and there is no friggin way, one basket would last 20 hours. I fill it to the top of the metal basket. Do you guys fill it higher than the body of the steel basket? Maybe that is where I would be wrong?

If ya filled it up towards the handles I could maybe get it to burn that long!

I was aware of the collagen situation, wasn't aware that you should try to get it to dwell in that temp range... Thanks for the info!

It will all be fine, this is the fourth butt in the KK, and I can't count the bbqd & smoked ones!

She will be

She will be impressed indeed, I know this because as of last Monday, I have been so impressing her for 24 years :):love4::occasion9::love7:

Saucy' date=' I am sure that your cook will be excellent, and make a spectaculous meal. She'll be impressed! :D Who wouldn't be impressed by a man who will cook for you? smooch[/quote']

Re: Hmm

. Do you guys fill it higher than the body of the steel basket? Maybe that is where I would be wrong?

INDEED! I fill it full enough that the heat deflector sometimes is resting on lump, like Sanny, I too had an early morning reload in the past, :shock: never again! :D

I dont have a KK, and I dont use Royal Oak but I have no problem getting 20+ hour cooks from a 10 pound load of coconut charcoal.

It had gone 2+days before.

Maybe I'll get a bag or RO and see how long it burns. I gotta think if you are controlling airflow & temp is 225° that you should easily get a 20hr burn from a bag of RO... am I wrong?? weight is weight.... 12# of CEL should burn as good as 12# of RO, although the RO takes up more volume.

FILL UP THE cooker with charcoal and let the airflow control combustion. Traditional BBQ cookers (weber, et al) control temp by regulating quantity of fuel...it is completely the opposite with ceramic (and concrete) cookers.

Re: Hmm can't go 20 hours? I can ;-)

I am using Royal Oak lump, and there is no friggin way, one basket would last 20 hours. I fill it to the top of the metal basket. Do you guys fill it higher than the body of the steel basket? Maybe that is where I would be wrong?

I've gone 30 hours filled up to the handles with tamarind lump.. I've never used RO of course but I can't imagine not getting 20 hours well packed bowl.

You are cooking on the ONLY ceramic type cooker that's actually insulated with insulation.. (shameless plug)

;);)

I also usually pour smalls and broken fines over a full bowl to get a very even burn.