ThreeDJ16

Old Skool Tech...Pressure Cooking!

OK, nothing to do with Que or ceramics, but a subject worthy of noting as we all like sides to go with the grilled stuff.

Just curious how many are using pressure cookers? I sure wish ya'll had clued me in on this wonderful device a long time ago. Took it on a suggestion from someone at work about the benefits of using a pressure cooker. For $21 at Walmart, I really did not expect too much and was way more than a little surprised. I know they have been around for ever, just never had anyone really comment to me on how great they are; especially for vegetables.

First off, I am not really a canned vegetable type of person. Maybe in a real pinch and doing some serious doctoring. But I much prefer fresh, frozen or dried. All three of those categories equals much longer cook times and planning ahead for meals using standard cooking methods.

Now for the part in which I just refused to believe until the results were tasted. Fresh greens in five minutes that would rival any cooked for hours in a normal pot (these still has great color too). Dried black eyed peas in 12 minutes (without even a presoak). I am not just talking about good, run of the mill eats. We are talking the best ever passed onto my plate at home or in a restaurant. The season was thoroughly infused in food. The vegetables were just as tender as if they were cooked for hours, yet not falling apart or turned to mush which can happen in a normal pot. Have since tried many different foods, all with results they keep me amazed.

Don't really expect people to believe this, but for under $30 at your local Walmart, please prove it to yourself. Will also add a great website to this post that has great cook time charts and killer recipes just for pressure cooking.

http://missvickie.com/howto/times/timingframe.html

FYI, she also has a book available through Amazon.com.

-=J

Edited by ThreeDJ16

Old news, dawl. :)

Long live the pressure cooker! Tender pot roast in under an hour. And this past week I cooked dried beans without soaking or hours of simmering. Just 15 mins in the pressure cooker. Magic.

Also great for cooking potatoes for mashing.

Gramma used to do her "sunday dinner" beans in her pressure cooker in just a few minutes.

Old news, dawl. :)

Long live the pressure cooker! Tender pot roast in under an hour. And this past week I cooked dried beans without soaking or hours of simmering. Just 15 mins in the pressure cooker. Magic.

Also great for cooking potatoes for mashing.

Gramma used to do her "sunday dinner" beans in her pressure cooker in just a few minutes.

Better later to the party than never! They do make a killer 25 minute pot roast! This thing is as fast or faster than a microwave and way better (I hate microwaves).

I am planning on making charros beans and carnitas tonight for supper, both starting in the pressure cooker.

-=J

Edited by ThreeDJ16

OK, I have been lurking in the shadows here for sometime but because I don't have a ceramic cooker (yet) I have refrained from joining in. Dennis and I have traded emails and it is only a matter of time...

On to pressure cookers - J, (and all), if you really want to have some fun, purchase a "pressure magic" pressure cooker from Fagor. Pricey, yes. But it is one of the only cookers available that will allow you to pressure FRY. You want to try and duplicate the Kernel's recipe? Well this is the only cooker that you can try it in. I bought one at the Texas State Fair back in the early 90's and have been making the best hot wings since! Also makes tender flaky beer battered fish... my kids will actually eat it! By the by, I have seen that "fish" is a four-letter word around here so I won't use it often! :D

Edited by ThreeDJ16

Love it.

After you started raving about your pressure cooker I went out to the garage and started digging around and found the one my parents gave me a few years ago-- 22 quarts. It was a beast! It's the old-school kind with the circular "jiggler" that just sits on top.

But I gave it a shot with some steel cut oats and 15 minutes later I was having oatmeal that usually takes an hour or more to cook.

So I went and bought a little 5-qt pressure cooker to do oatmeal in and it's been working beautifully. I'm glad you brought it up.

:P

I'm sure he envisioned you making oatmeal by the vat when he posted' date=' too :P[/quote']

:roll::smt081:smt082

Yeah, that is it..hehe. Just glad he tried it. The fresh vegees is still what has me floored. I still think it is crazy they are ready so fast. But to be ready so fast and have that all day cooked, down to the center flavor is just amazing.

-=J

Edited by ThreeDJ16

OK, I have been lurking in the shadows here for sometime but because I don't have a ceramic cooker (yet) I have refrained from joining in. Dennis and I have traded emails and it is only a matter of time...

On to pressure cookers - Jasen, (and all), if you really want to have some fun, purchase a "pressure magic" pressure cooker from Fagor. Pricey, yes. But it is one of the only cookers available that will allow you to pressure FRY. You want to try and duplicate the Kernel's recipe? Well this is the only cooker that you can try it in. I bought one at the Texas State Fair back in the early 90's and have been making the best hot wings since! Also makes tender flaky beer battered fish... my kids will actually eat it! By the by, I have seen that "fish" is a four-letter word around here so I won't use it often! :D

Hey! Cool we finally got you in on some posting! Hope you get your cooker soon and join in on the rest of the fun.

I have been wondering about pressure frying. I was planning on buying a newer, second gen pressure cooker next (as mine is a cheap jiggle top). I can take the old one to work this way too. I looked at he Fagor on the MissVickie's web site and figured that would be next. So I am glad you mentioned that one of them can pressure fry. I have pressure cooked the chicken to almost done, then battered and fried, but frying from the beginning would be much easier.

-=J

Edited by ThreeDJ16

J - please do be careful about which pressure cooker model you choose. Only one from Fagor is capable of pressure frying. The unit is called a "pressure magic". You know you have the right one when you see a cooker with a heavy bar across the lid. I tried to post a link to a pic. but no luck 'cause I am a newbie! lol

Just Google - fagor pressure magic and you are on your way!

Edited by ThreeDJ16

So let's be careful about the review on Miss Vickies website. It was discussing standard pressure cookers. Specifically, the Magefesa-Super Rapida was the unit that was rated best. It is NOT a pressure fryer. However, Magefesa does make a pressure fryer along with Fagor and Rapid Chef. Again, I have no allegiance to any of the manufacturers, I am sure they are all great. My only suggestion is to buy a current model, never used, that states by the manufacturer that it is made to pressure fry. Also, if you can get a new one for $109.00 delivered, buy it. My sense is, it is not a pressure fryer. ;-)

One last word - folks, I would hate to see anyone get hurt pressure frying by not using the right equipment. PLEASE be careful and buy the right gear for the job! :-)

Not that I'm defending Miss Vicki - she just had photos of both brands. She, too, went to great length to warn against using a regular pressure cooker as a pressure fryer.

So, yah. What he said.

In the meantime, cook yer beans in a regular one. Who needs all that fried food anyway? ;)

Alton Brown has a Chili recipe for the pressure cooker....I have cooked it several times....very yummy!!

3 pounds stew meat (beef, pork, and/or lamb)

2 teaspoons peanut oil

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 (12-ounce) bottle of beer, preferably a medium ale

1 (16-ounce) container salsa

30 tortilla chips

2 chipotle peppers canned in adobo sauce, chopped

1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from the chipotle peppers in adobo)

1 tablespoon tomato paste

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

Place the meat in a large mixing bowl and toss with the peanut oil and salt. Set aside.

Heat a 6-quart heavy-bottomed pressure cooker over high heat until hot. Add the meat in 3 or 4 batches and brown on all sides, approximately 2 minutes per batch. Once each batch is browned, place the meat in a clean large bowl.

Once all of the meat is browned, add the beer to the cooker to deglaze the pot.

Scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the meat back to the pressure cooker along with the salsa, tortilla chips, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, tomato paste, chili powder, and ground cumin and stir to combine. Lock the lid in place according to the manufacturer's instructions. When the steam begins to hiss out of the cooker, reduce the heat to low, just enough to maintain a very weak whistle. Cook for 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and carefully release the steam. Serve immediately.

Homemade Chili Powder:

3 ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced

3 cascabel chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced

3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced

2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds

2 tablespoons garlic powder

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon smoked paprika

Place all of the chiles and the cumin into a medium nonstick saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, moving the pan around constantly, until you begin to smell the cumin toasting, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside and cool completely.

Once cool, place the chiles and cumin into the carafe of a blender along with the garlic powder, oregano, and paprika. Process until a fine powder is formed. Allow the powder to settle for at least a minute before removing the lid of the carafe. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

John,

Here's a site where you can see the pressure fryers from Fagor and Rapid Chef:

http://www.pro-selections.com/category.cfm/198/

Here is where you can see the pressure fryer from Magefesa:

http://www.accuproinc.com/magefesa.htm

By the looks of the bar across he top of each of these cookers, any one of the three will pressure fry. However, please check with each manufacturer to verify. Enjoy!

Bet we all can't wait 'til this spring to start tasting the slow cooked goodness of what this forum is all about! The 20th of Spring is right around the corner!!