Firemonkey

Whats cooking for Easter?

Re: Direct?

Are ya'll cooking those your birds direct? Or w/deflector ??

I am doing chickens!

Mine is indirect, deflector and big drip pan on the lower grill. The 17# bird covers the entire area of the big kk provided drip pan. Injected, rubbed generously under the skin and on the other side. Just a little dusting and some olive oil on the skin.

dscn2419nr3.jpg

dscn2420vi1.jpg

FM

FM, what temp and how long did that fellar take to cook?

I haven't yet done a whole turkey, and its looking powerful good!

I used to do a 22lb one, split in half, one half on each rack on the water smoker w/kingsford (b4 I saw the light) and it would take 11 hours or so, had to refill the water basin mid cook too.

I used to load the water basin up with quartered onions, a split garlic head, some bay leaves and peppercorns.

That liquid with the drippins it caught along the way, made for the bestest gravy ever concocted!

Can't wait to see your all done pic! :)

I'd doing a St. Patrick's day chicken' date=' lol. I'm in a wierd mood. I took a green marinade sort of thing for shrimp and I've shoved it between the skin and the meat and then poured some over the top. It looks real purty. I have no idea how this is going to taste, but what the heck....[/quote']

You get any pictures of this experiment?

Bump for 2009

Anyone cooking anything this weekend?

I'm doing pork butts tonight (if the rain stops) for a bridal shower for next weekend. No time to do them right before the event.

Might try a leg of lamb - Costco has them on sale for the holiday.

Or maybe those bacon asparagus teriyaki thingies someone posted recently...

I've got the fire started. First cook of the year, everything is damp. Lots of smoke. Fireman across the street came over with his radio, about to call in the fire trucks!! OH MY!!

I'm soaking wet. Raining here, but cooking must go one! The lamb is smeared with smear, and waiting for the cooker to reach temp. Then I'll put it on for a few hours. When it comes off, the butts will go on. I used a modified "Dennis" lamb preparation. Puree of cilantro, garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper, olive oil. Added a tweak of cardamom and cumin, just for a hint of curry flavor.

I finally bought a chimney starter. WOW did that make life easier! My little pile of starter lump was glowing in only a few minutes! I spread it over the dry lump in the bottom of the cooker, and off we go. I won't put a sawdust starter in next time. Overkill.

All this cooking is going to be imaginary, of course. Someone's mother came and took the camera. It's opening day at the town gardens, so that has priority. Of course it does...

Camera returned!

Now it's NOT an imaginary cook! :)

Lamb just came off, pork went on. Lamb was higher temp than I wanted, but it'll be ok. M wanted to stop after church to get pics developed, so I left the roast on the fire longer than I otherwise would. But that's ok. Actually, it was (according to the package) perfectly done. It said pull at 155, and let rest. It was just about there. Some genius put a pop up timer in the roast, and it hadn't popped yet. So, I know it wasn't OVER cooked. Overcooked is when the timer pops!

I took some to Dad's (he's a lamb fan) and he said it was delicious. And I had some and do agree. Not at all funky tasting, the way grandma's always were (sorry grandma). Maybe Aussie lamb is different from 'murrican lamb.

But I think the dog ate my guru plug. Rats. It was there, sitting on the planter by the cooker. I went inside. Dog didn't. Then the guru plug was gone. Circumstantial, but I'm suspicious...

Pq1Js690.jpg

Pq1JsdDr.jpg