billyg

how about the equivalent of a #9

Hey Dennis,

Is it possible to make a #9 komado kamado otb? The only feature the other company has that I like other than the size difference is the ability to cook with the lid ajared about 2-4 inches. Is it possible to make the spring with a click contraption that will allow us to adjust how much we want to keep the top open for searing on the top grill? Hope all is well with you!

Billy - The kk is spring loaded. You can easily make it stay at any position with just a tether of some sort. It doesnt take much force to hold it down either. I would expect a length of pull-cord (like you find on ceiling fans) would work fine, and you could adjust the length to whatever gap you you want.

But I am not sure why you would want to do this?? You can easily bury the needle on both grills by opening the vents (though one of them will crack and fall apart after you do it). What do you cook on the top grill that needs more heat than that?

#9 otb?

I didn't realize that there were so many people named Dennis here. If anyone here ever had a kamado from the other company, they would realize the 1 feature that was pretty cool, and that was to be able to keep the top ajared 1-4 inches by the turn of a cotter pin. It comes in pretty handy and actually does a better job of searing than keeping the lid closed and cranking it up. No damage will be done to either grill. I have been cooking with ceramics for over 20 years so I do have some experience here.

Re: #9 otb?

I didn't realize that there were so many people named Dennis here. If anyone here ever had a kamado from the other company' date=' they would realize the 1 feature that was pretty cool, and that was to be able to keep the top ajared 1-4 inches by the turn of a cotter pin. It comes in pretty handy and actually does a better job of searing than keeping the lid closed and cranking it up. No damage will be done to either grill. I have been cooking with ceramics for over 20 years so I do have some experience here.[/quote']

Billly G,

Are we talking about a high temp steak cook? 90 seconds or so a side with a dwell? I leave the lid open for the sear. :D No problem!

(Also not Dennis) :shock:

Re: #9 otb?

I didn't realize that there were so many people named Dennis here.

Prolly, if you want only Dennis to respond, best to PM or email him. Otherwise, the whole Peanut Gallery will weigh in. We live sheltered lives, you know, and any sport is interesting to us... :wink:

Billyg, I'll inform you up front; in case you don't want to waste your time reading. I'm not Dennis either.

But if anyone is interested in my $0.02 worth.

Or if Dennis is taking a poll; it's not a feature I'd be interested in either.

I have the cracked type, which means I "have" to secure the dome with a screw to even hold it open (or in any position but closed); however never have held it partially open for cooking, nor feel the need to.

I also do the 90 sec. sears.

Billyg, if you really feel results are better by cracking the dome open, I'd suggest using cable or chain for a teather; something that can take the heat.

Re: how about the equivalent of a #9

Hey Dennis,

Is it possible to make a #9 komado kamado otb? The only feature the other company has that I like other than the size difference is the ability to cook with the lid ajared about 2-4 inches. Is it possible to make the spring with a click contraption that will allow us to adjust how much we want to keep the top open for searing on the top grill? Hope all is well with you!

I'm in the final stages of a new 19.5" OTB.

I've spent a few sleepless nights designing an extra large KOmodo.

My idea was to cut my 23" OTB in half and then inserting a middle section to make a 32-36" wide cooker.

But I'm not sure how much demand there is for an extra large cooker..

Anybody know if there were many #9 POSK's made/sold?

Does the group think there would be much demand outside of a commercial application here and there?

Dennis wrote:

Anybody know if there were many #9 POSK's made/sold?

If covers are any indicator; I've made very few for #9's (in the single digit); as compared to #3's, 5's, and 7's.

And, I remember a few #9s were sold to resturants.

IMHO Would take a big family to justify a #9 for personal use. Even if I needed that much cooking room, actually either way; I'd prefer two! A current OTB and a smaller one (hint, hint)

with a trailer and tow-able for feeding the masses..

Dennis....I certainly don't know quantitites but there were people waiting for the elusive #11 that he claimed to have but never heard of him selling any. I think a lot of people got tired of waiting on the #9's.

The traditional round design becomes awkward when it gets to 25" and up.

Also that's a lotta arm (and maybe some of your ribs) over the heat for grilling.

I think that Primo's idea to go oval maked more sense.

And of course my stretched OTB would take the cake..

A 22" deep and 32-36" wide OTB could cook a lotta ribs or butts.

Maybe make it with a trailer and tow-able for feeding the masses..

A guy's gotta dream..

:lol::lol:

I still think you are missing a tremendous amount of sales because you do not have a smaller one. Look at the choices on BGE and the K guy. I know years ago I bought a #3 (I think the grill/grid is 18 inches) and I still use it for the quick burger cooks and I can take it on those camping trips because it has a handle on each side to carry it. Weight is about 100 +/- pounds. I use my /OTB for all of the low/slow and rotisserie things plus for the big party cooks.

Just a thought .....

John