Firemonkey

Steaking my claim

I just reminded myself why it is that I almost never order a steak from a restaurant - which is quite a handicap when you travel 35+weeks a year. This is because I am oft disappointed when I do so, and just wish I had waited and cooked myself one at home, because they are always so much better. Tonight, was one of those nights :D

Here was the plan, very simple with consistently outstanding results.

First (and most important) pour yourself a nice glass of wine. Then, take a couple of your favorite cuts of steak (I used filet) and gave them a nice coating of sea salt and cracked pepper.

dscn2559yk4.jpg

Get the grill going. I prefer to use the lower grill,as I like my steaks cooked medium, and I think the lower facilitates the longer dwell easier than the sear grill. As the lump gets rolling, oil some potatoes and give them a shake of kosher salt. Once the grill is up to 325-250 dome, add them directly on the grate to start roasting.

After about 20 minutes flip the potatoes and rearrange if there are any hotspots causing them to cook unevenly. This would be a good time to refill your wine glass, too. After about 15-20 more minutes, move the potatoes off to the sidelines and put the meat on the grill. My dome is about 425 by this time (dial full open and about 1 full turn on the dome). When I add the meat I pull the slide out a few inches, which will bump the dome up to about 525 or so.

dscn2561bp0.jpg

Add the meat, and I also tossed in one chunk of persimmon wood at the same time. Let it cook for about 2 minutes then rotate it 90 degrees (you gotta have proper sear marks, right?) Just after the rotate, with a nice light fragrant smoke rolling:

dscn2562lc4.jpg

After a few more minutes (depending on your target temp), flip the steaks. Just after the flip:

dscn2563kb4.jpg

Same drill, a couple of minutes, then rotate 90 degrees, and shut the grill down tight. By now, after several minutes in the 500+ range, there is enough heat in the grill to finish roasting the steaks to whatever degree of cooked you want. I let mine go for about 8 minutes which was just barely past medium.

dscn2564jb9.jpg

Another fill on the wine glass and its off to heaven :wink:

dscn2567sr7.jpg

dscn2570cw1.jpg

Re: Steaking my claim

I just reminded myself why it is that I almost never order a steak from a restaurant -

Man that is the truth. Was not very many years ago when the wife and I ate out way more than we cooked at home. I absolutely get disappointed the few times I venture to try a steak at a restaurant now. Ceramic cooking has been one of the number one contributors. Even the wife begs for my cooking over going out.

Just ask Firemonkey how far I used to drive for decent fajitas...long way! Now that I have that recipe and carnitas down pat.....it is saving me tons in gas money...hehe (Columbia, SC or Atlanta, Ga is the closest edible Tex-Mex from Augusta....sad).

Nice looking dinner Firemonkey. So how about a sear grill with a partial grill attached at the main grill level? I did come up with an idea of how to make this as an add on instead of built on. Soon as my neck quits bothering me and we get some cooker weather, I will make up a prototype to temp Dennis with. One level of cooking with steaks is just not enough.

-=Jasen=-

I guess I don't really have to say I don't order steak out. I usually have seafood or duck, and the last duck I roasted blew away anything I've ordered out. I luv shelfish of all types, especially mussels. If I can duplicate some of my Fave recipes at home I may never go out again( unless someone else is buyin' drinks)!

Re: Steaking my claim

Firemonkey,

This was an interesting post. One point concerns me. As I understand it, from pouring the first glass to serving the steak on the table is at least 63 minutes. I calculate this as at least 30 minutes to get the KK going, 20 stated plus 20 plus 8 plus resting the cooked steak for at least 5 minutes. Three glasses in 63 minutes is not much in my experience.

Simon