Nator

Cleaning - tips from the experts wanted

What to clean when and how?

I been traveling alot so have only done 1 cook but it was three boneless shoulders and my grill is dirty. I brushed it but still dirty. Considered putting it in the old gasser to burn off the remains since I am trying to stay low for a few cooks.

This was prompted by Dennis 3rd July pics where his cooker was obviously used but his grill looked very clean. Perhaps he grabs a new one off the accessory pile every so often

Burn It!

Whenever my grill needs cleaning I just let it burn off and hit it with a SS brush. I see you are wanting to keep the temps low for a while, so just wait a few more cooks then burn it off good. You could also use a propane torch on it or a pressure washer. I never really worry about it too much; I call it flavor enhancers - hehe. :wink:

-=Jasen=-

I agree

Close it down tight when you arent using it, and go with the flow. Eventually, you will roast something or even grill steaks, and then it will burn off. I just brush my grill and wipe it with oil before each cook. Whatever scrapes off is just additional smoke flavor :o Between cooks, keep it closed tight so it doesnt become a buffet for insects.

When you look at pricing it would appear that the deluxe and supreme have a stainless steel grill and the standard has a porcelain coated grill. Is that right? If so I am curious as to why? I believe most competitors use porcelain coating on all their grills and just wondered why you do not if you do not?

Porcelain coated grills... Cast iron or steel wire..

Porcelain coating is a way to get corrosion protection when using cast iron or milled steel.

Stainless is too expensive for most manufacturers.

Porcelain coated cast iron is old technology and will last a long time if not dropped, chipped or scratched with a wire bristle brush. Cast iron's physical properties i.e. thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity make it excellent for cooking applications. It's also significantly cheaper to produce and machine than SS. To equal this performance, SS grates will have to weigh much more then the CI grates.

Porcelain coated steel:

Most lower cost ceramics and BBQ's use Porcelain coated steel wire as a way to sell their product at a much lower price.. They will probably chip, rust and then warp and fail.. But they are cheap to replace. I think I'm the only ceramic manufacturer using 3/8" stainless in their grills, they are also found on premium grills like Weber's Summit line.

Please clarify...

Which components come standard as 3/8" Stainless? I was under the impression that only the meat hanger was 3/8 while everything else was 1/4?

Also, I should take this opportunity to mention that my Kamado does indeed have 1/4" stainless grills. I had originally thought that they were larger size. Last night, I measured them...they look larger as a matter of scale since my mexi-K is a #5 (18" grill)

Re: Please clarify...

Is the refractory material actually considered a ceramic? I was somehow considering it different' date=' more towards a form of cement.[/quote']

No when I use the term ceramics I'm using it as the catagory of cookers

Which components come standard as 3/8" Stainless?

I never said anything about being standard.. only I think I'm the only ceramic/Kamado type cooker manufacturer using 3/8" stainless in their grills.

lower grill cleats

Tony...thanks for the answer. Yet another example of how much better the mechanical design is on the Komado. That eliminates the need for the Kamado lower bracket accessory and should be factored into the cost comparison that has been running by Porkchop I think. I'm so mesmerized by his avatar I sometimes forget what he posts :lol: Maybe he has already factored that in.

i considered that the lower grill could also be used as a place to put your pizza stone as a heat buffer when you want to use even more fuel than can fit in the metal "lump saver" dennis includes, hence a "lower bracket" that mexi-K uses.

however the lower bracket also does double duty as a cooking surface, so you COULD also consider adding in the new "adjustable grill" mexi-K offers for that purpose for price comparison.

i guess that would just be kicking a dead horse tho; everybody gets the basic message. Komodo Kamado is about the same in price when everything is considered, and way better value.