LarryR

Newbie's first few cooks

Thanks for the comments guys, I've really enjoyed cooking on the ceramic so far.

I thought the producer was Harris Ranch, but Trish thinks it from Snake River (I'm thinking she saw something on the packaging or asked). I get them through my local meat market named appropriately, The Meat Market. I recently read an ARTICLE (last paragraph) that stated Harris Ranch raises Kobe here in central California, ships them to Kobe Japan for a few more feedings, long enough for it to be designated from Kobe and the cattle are then slaughtered and sold as Kobe beef. I thought I was buying what Harris didn't send to Japan.

The important point Larry is it is incredible and affordable, and I thank you for that tip...pun intended. I saw untrimmed tri-tip the other day for $3.78 lb. I'm kinda glad the rest of the forum doesn't live close by....they'd be driving up the price!

On another note, my sister recently hosted a special occasion and ordered her tri-tip from Costco. It was Black Angus tri-tip and it was very good. 264 lbs of un-trimmed tri-tip for $725.00. The guy who BBQ'ed cooked it somewhat slow, almost 2 hours, on an open trailer BBQ. It was excellent, tender, and nice pink in the center. My point is the Black Angus tri-tip is also very good.

The important point Larry is it is incredible and affordable' date=' and I thank you for that tip...pun intended. I saw untrimmed tri-tip the other day for $3.78 lb. I'm kinda glad the rest of the forum doesn't live close by....they'd be driving up the price![/quote']

Absolutely! I'm amazed by the price. I have Q friends on the East Coast who buy Select grade tris for the same price as we're paying for Wagyu. I've had the Harris Ranch Angus tris and they're very good also.

Here's another "tip" for you. There's a little market on Blackstone just north of Herndon called Ronnie's Midway Market. From the outside it looks like a liquor store, inside there's a small meat counter in the back where they sell Harris Ranch beef cheap! I buy my steaks there not at The Meat Market; rib eyes for $6.99 lb (non-sale price), last week they had porterhouse steaks on sale for $4.99 a lb. Harris Ranch! They hand carve their steaks and will do to order if you're looking for really nice thick portions. I also buy my beef ribs there. He always leaves nice portions of meat on the ribs which I find is tough to find in supermarkets, they seem to over trim. The butcher is only there until 3 or 4 p.m. so if you're wanting anything carved to order you need to go in before he leaves. Otherwise there are a couple of guys working behind the counter who can help you but they don't carve. Sometimes there are some interesting people hanging around so park on the east side of the store (Blackstone side).