jdbower

Kosher salt?

I've noticed that a lot of people specify Kosher salt in their recipes and I was wondering about the reasoning. Kosher salt seems to be non-iodized large crystal sodium chloride, essentially the same as table salt (with the possible exception of iodine). I can understand Kosher salt in rubs, the large crystals will prevent it from dissolving completely. But do people who use it in a brine use it for a reason or just because it tends to be sold in larger boxes (in which case, is it really cheaper if you consider that 1Tbs of salt is about 2Tbs of Kosher salt)? Just curious, I grabbed some a while ago and tend to use it for things where the subtle flavors of sea salt would be lost.

JD

I had heard that some thought the iodine gave brine an off flavor. But much reading shows no consensus on this. Here is a link that appears to know much more than I. But as you noted be sure what type salt was used in the recipe and adjust accordingly. That is one thing I agree with AB on it is much easier to use weights instead of measuring.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/brining.html

I have also heard that kosher is preferred in a brine, because at the higher quantities and concentrations used in a brine, the iodine can be tasted. I wont even pretend my palette is sensitive enough to perceive it though.

I tend to just use it because its what I keep on hand. I prefer the larger crystal size when seasoning finished dishes, as it gives a "brighter" burst of saltiness, while still being interspersed with unsalted flavors of the dish. I use Kosher on the stovetop, and grind sea salt (with a nod to Cozy) at the table.

I can buy the iodine theory, but I think I'll group it in with wine tasters. I'm sure some people have palates well-trained enough to distinguish some of the subtleties of these flavors but the vast majority are likely faking it to seem more cultured :)

So instead of using Kosher salt people are really just using non-iodized salt. And because Kosher salt has unique properties outside of a fully dissolved brine it's useful to have on hand anyway so there's not much reason to stock fine crystal non-iodized salt. Sea salt would also suffice for the iodine-sensitive, but it's usually more expensive and the subtleties of the sea salt flavor would likely be lost (although if you're able to discern the iodine in regular salt maybe not...).

For those interested in trivia, Kosher salt is not salt that's been slaughtered under the supervision of a Rabbi - it's no more Kosher than table salt. The UK term "Koshering Salt" is much more appropriate since one of the uses is to rub on meat to draw out the blood. The large crystals don't dissolve like finer table salt crystals would and it helps the meat to become Kosher.

Like most things non-iodized salt is not available here. Probably because of humidity. I am going to throw something out here and get opinions. If I took sea water and boiled it to kill bacteria, could it be used for brine?

Okay it may be stupid but I don't claim to be on the level of Einstein.

I dont see why not - Its probably not going to hurt, I can remember boiling lobsters in sea water when I was a kid. But you might be picking up some kind of flavoring from the sea water, at least more than you would get with processed salt and water. Maybe that will be a good flavor, and then you can start exporting your local seawater for the rest of us 8)

There is only one way to find out, right ;) Be sure to tell us when you try it, and post afterwards so we know if you lived through it :D

Boiling should kill off the worst of the dangerous stuff. I would also consider some sort of a physical filter, a couple of layers of cheesecloth or a paper filter of some sort. Nothing worse than sand in your cook, and it may get out some of the foam.

If you boil it all the way down you've got your own source for sea salt :)

Like most things non-iodized salt is not available here. Probably because of humidity. I am going to throw something out here and get opinions. If I took sea water and boiled it to kill bacteria, could it be used for brine?

Okay it may be stupid but I don't claim to be on the level of Einstein.

Wouldn't it taste 'fishy'? I suppose if you could filter the algae or other critters then boil it would probably be ok. But what about just making your own sea salt? Seems simple enough and there is a huge amount of info out there if you google. That way you are left with nothing but the salt and other minerals. Of course I always have to come up with the method that involves building some contraption. But there are plenty of simple methods using plastic and the sun.

-=Jasen=-

grey salt

The chef at Tra Vigne in Napa Valley said on his PBS cooking show (I've dined there a few times and if you like what I call Cal/Med style cooking, you gotta do) that if you do anything to improve your cooking you should use grey salt. This is sea salt from the coast of Brittany, UK. Maybe a bit pricey for a brine so as a former user of kosher salt before I discovered sea salt, you could always use generic sea salt in a large volume thing like brine. Otherwise, GS, which is grey and available pretty much everywhere in green grocers, Whole Foods, etc. in course and fine grained is the only way to go when salting your food - great flavor and high mineral content - no chem issues. I would not go kosher for anything but dill pickles homemade and probably even not that as I think about it. Don't use K salt any more.

Checke it out.